A really cool way to study :)

Hi everyone,

So some of you might know that I am currently getting my driver’s license. Because, you know, this fall I will turn 18, so it’s about time.
Nah… okay, I’m not turning 18, of course. But I really am taking driving lessons. In Germany, it is quite expensive to get the license… about 2000 Euro or so, if everything goes well. I never had the money for it and also, owning a car is expensive too, and in Berlin you simply don’t need it.
But being able to drive makes a BIG difference when you want to travel somewhere, so that’s mainly why I am doing the license now.
Anyway, so I’m actually taking the theory test this week and I REALLY need to prepare so I’m not gonna manage to finish a new article.

However, I still have something to share with you

A really great method for learning

and, funnily enough, I actually found it while learning theory…

So I have this app for studying the 1000+ theory questions and because I don’t want to pay premium (this driving thing is expensive enough as it is) of course it’s full of ads. Particularly, ads for gaming apps.
And while many of them are unbelievably dumb, there was one genre, that is actually kind of what I always wanted for language learning:

tacky or slightly trashy interactive stories.

If you don’t know what that is, Interactive stories are stories where you as a reader get to make decisions every now and then that’ll decide how the story progresses.
And there are some of those designed particularly for language learners. I introduced a couple of them in past advent calendar posts, so I’ll put the links below.

The apps that I found now are NOT specifically meant for learners, but I think they’re actually AMAZING!
And just to make sure… this is not sponsored or anything. I’m just really excited about this, because I would LOVE this as a learner.
Why do I think it’s so cool?
Well…

1. Not too much reading. It’s animated images with mostly dialogues and you get to pick what the protagonist says or does.
  2. The dialogue portions are very colloquial and idiomatic and you can infer a lot from context.
  3. There are LOADS of stories of all kinds of genres.

Seriously, lots of learning material is kind of boring and these little stories are the opposite.
Here’s an example synopsis of one of the stories, as the app describes it :

Mein Milliardärs-Boss
My billionaire boss

– Lerne Ashton Miller kennen, den reichsten, attraktivsten und mächtigsten Mann in NYC.
– Meet Ashton Miller, the richest, most attractive and most powerful man in NYC

– Ein Milliardär mit allem, was man will. Das Einzige, was Ashton Miller aber will, bist du.
– A billionaire with all one can wish for. The only thing that Ashton Miller wants, however, is you.

– Wirst du diesem Bachelor helfen, der Mann zu werden, der er sein kann?
Wirst du ihm helfen, sich um etwas mehr als nur um sich selbst zu kümmern?
Oder ist er dazu verdammt, ein Leben ohne Liebe zu führen
?
Will you help the bachelor becoming the man he can be?
Will you help him looking after more than just himself?
Or is he damned to lead a life without love?

I mean, come on… you basically get to play a soap opera or a cheap romance novel.
Here’s a couple of screenshots:

Now, like pretty much all apps, also this one is “Freemium”. So you can play for free but there are certain features that cost money and depending on how pushy the app is, it might “hinder” the free fun at some point.
Actually, I read a few reviews, that the app is a bit pushy and costly. I just didn’t try it enough to get there.
But I think it might still be a better, cheaper and more fun investment than in some online course that claims to teach you colloquial German or something, so if you have the money spare and you like it, then go for it.

Also, I should point out again, that it is NOT designed as a learning app.
I actually was so excited about the concept that I reached out to the developer studio to ask. They told me that they have a dedicated German team translating the stories and that you can toggle between German, English and Spanish.
I tried that on my phone and it meant that I have to leave a story. So I couldn’t see the immediate translation of a line. I’ll have to ask them again, because that would be just incredibly helpful.

Anyway, if you’re looking for a fun, light-hearted way to read a bit and study vocab AND play at the same time… it doesn’t get much more fun than that, I think.
I would totally use it, if there was a Bulgarian version (the language I am procrastinating learning) and that means a LOT because I usually don’t like using apps.

Now, the app I originally found is called “Chapters”. That’s the one I tried and where the screenshots are from. But that’s only one option. Another one is called “Is it Love – Sebastian”, which is more about vampire coming of age kind of stuff. And there are many more, so check out the “Similar Apps” section in the app stores.
I’ll give you the link to the Chapters app in Google Play Store and App store and leave the rest to you :).

CHAPTERs – Android                    CHAPTERS – APPLE

(not affiliate links)

So yeah… I was really really excited when I found this… well, when this found me. And I’m kind of sad, it doesn’t exist in Bulgarian.
I’d definitely use it and I think it might be really really helpful for some of you.

And of course  I am really curious what you think about it. Does it sound interesting? Or have you tried these kinds of apps for learning or for fun? Did you like them? Do you have suggestions for others?
Let me know all your feedback and thoughts in the comments.
And cross your fingers for my theory test :).
Have a great week and see you next time.

Oh, and if you want to get a better impression of the app, there are actually “play through”-videas on Youtube, so I’ll put a link here… it’s in English, but you ca get the same story in German.

further reading:

Aschkalon Review – Interactive Fantasy Story specifically for learners

Review – Interactive Lernabendteuer by Goethe Institute  (possible taken down from Play Store)

MohammadHossein
MohammadHossein

Hallo Leute

This is a great idea I’ll probably start tonight.
One another fun way that I found was the “WORT Guru” game. In this game you’ll be given a bunch of letters and you have to make words out of them. for example you’ll be given “R,T,O,A” and you make {RAT,ORT,ROT,TOR,..} and this is an easy one but you’ll get to harder levels when you have to make words with 5 or 6 or even more letters.In this example, I learned the word “der Rat” this way and it went through my mind really quick. And the word “Tor” , I finally realized in football commentary when there is a goal, the German commentators don’t say “TUUUUUR”, they say “TOOOOR” :)))
And Emanuel you can look if there is anything like this game in “Bulgarian” language which I think there should be because even in my language which is Persian there is a similar game which is very well developed and enjoyable to play with a wierd name “A Mirza” :)

Viel Erfolg

Maya
Maya

Hey Emmanuel, l love give it a try , but Find only English version, wo ist German Option? Danke

Vanessa
Vanessa

I can’t by any means find a way to switch the language from English to German in the app. There is no Language option in the Settings. Some guidance or a screenshot of where the language options are would be really appreciated! Thanks a lot Emanuel and everyone!

That worked, vielen Dank! Vanessa

Zuckerbaby
Zuckerbaby

The vocab list for Der Ton has some errors in the music section.

Dreiklang is indeed a triad (klang=sound).

Dreiklang is not a triplet (rhythm). The word for triplet is die Triole.

Major and Minor are not “musical keys.” They are modes. Both are capitalized, by the way, in English.

Keys are such as: H Moll (B Minor) or Fis Dur (F-sharp Major).

Meltem
Meltem

I really needed a learning tool that wasn’t so demanding and had casual conversations in it, so I’ll definitely check these apps out. Also, I wanted to thank you and members who have donated for my membership! I’ll make sure to have lots of fun while learning and appreciate you guys’ act of kindness. Good luck on your theory test, hope it goes well!!

Roan Phil
Roan Phil

Thank you all #teamspirit. I love this site and the community. Thank you for your sponsorship. Currently done with B2 sprach niveau.  Will surely contribute to this site once i get a job and income.

Rita
Rita

Clever idea! Might see if I can find an interactive story that doesn’t push for payment.

Thanks to paying members for their generosity on this site. I can access this site in full now and improve my job prospects with a new language!

Capital_ Ash_
Capital_ Ash_

Goodluck on your test emanuel, and thanks for the suggestion. I also used to play several games in german including pokemon and a few other. i find it way more interesting than just reading plain theory. a suggestion from me would be that you guys try reading a book in german, preferably a softcopy for ease of translation. im currently reading percy jackson and its a load of fun! und was dich angeht, emanuel, versuch mal einen bulgarischen film anzuschauen. vielleicht würde er dein interesse an der sprache wieder wecken ;)

Turtles
Turtles

Ich bin zürck und es gibt zu viel dass ich nachhole.

Ich wünsche dir viel Gluk bei deinem Test.

Sindhu
Sindhu

Sometimes your “no time” posts are better than the articles.
Nah, just kidding! I absolutely love your articles! Best of luck with your license test! :)

Sharonloh
Sharonloh

Wishing you all the best in getting your driving license!

Thank you for allowing me to be one of your members at no cost, due to circumstances that I’m in.

I especially want to take the opportunity here to thank members who have donated and make this happen! Thank you! I am really happy to be able to have access to such great content and I promise I will cherish this opportunity!

Fernanda
Fernanda

Hallo lieber Manuel,
ich drücke dir die Daumen! Normalerweise lade ich nicht diese Spiele runter aber heute gebe ich eine Chance.

tmurrin1979
tmurrin1979

Viel Glück bei Ihrer Fahrprüfung! Ich bin sicher, Sie werden es großartig machen!

Nursultan
Nursultan

Danke und viel Erfolg)

michele
michele

Oh my goodness, I had no idea you were so young. As a teacher for 38 years, I love that you love to teach!!!

coleussanctus
coleussanctus

I had to delete a couple apps to make room, but I played through one of the vampire/werewolf stories and it was pretty fun. Cheesy, but a fun distraction. But the main thing for me is there were a lot of simple, natural sounding descriptions of everyday things that can be hard to find (or think up on your own). Like follow me this way, or balancing something on your car, or what goes through your mind when your boss yells at you. So for that alone, 10/10.

Ich drücke dir die Daumen :)

coleussanctus
coleussanctus

Yeah, absolutely, you gotta mix things up and it can’t all be serious. I haven’t spent much time on Duolingo, but this is much richer, content-wise.

The freemium part wasn’t too bad. There were a couple places where only the boring option was free. Like if I wanted to flirt with the vampire or make a joke, it would cost, but a normal, professional introduction was free. And it was pretty tempting to pay so I could tell him about my secret history with the world of the undead (so I could convince him to let his daughter sign up for my dating service), but things ended up working out anyway. Honestly it bugs me more when there are unskippable ads every couple screens, and this didn’t have that.

James
James

Diese App ist in den USA nicht verfugbar.

Francesca M
Francesca M

Hallo Emanuel, diese Nachricht ist nur dir zu wünschen, ein gutes Erfolg bei der Prüfung

Geekfish
Geekfish

Dein Artikel erinnerte mich an ein unglaubliches Dating-Spiel: Hatoful Boyfriend

Ja, es ist mit Tauben.

Es ist auch nicht nur ein Dating-Spiel, es wird etwas… dunkel. Aber ich will keine Spoiler verschenken.

Geekfish
Geekfish

As usual, the wizards of Wikipedia have the answer:

“The title of the game is a multi-layered pun; the wasei-eigo word hātofuru (ハートフル) means “heartful”, however it is also phonetically identical to the Japanese pronunciation of the English word “hurtful”. […] Additionally, the official English transliteration of the title also incorporates the Japanese word hato (鳩), which means “pigeon” or “dove,” and is also one of the names of the game’s creator, Hato Moa.”