Word of the Day – “der Zweifel”

zweifel-bezweifeln-verzweifHello everyone,

and welcome to our German Word of the Day, number 140… or uhm.. something. Not sure actually. I just know it’s not enough. Not even close. We need more words. Moooooore. We need to be like word eating zombies. Woooords. Oh, there’s one. Let’s eat

der Zweifel

Der Zweifel means the doubt. And clearly the two words aren’t related.
Or are they?
Dun dun dunnnn
They aren’t, Emanuel was sure of it. Two words that don’t even share a single letter just can’t be related. And yet, there was this weird feeling in his gut. A feeling he knew all too well. A feeling that had never wronged him. There was no doubt, he had to take a dump. And so there he sha sat in the Chamber of Tiled Walls, his mind wandering. “Zweifel. Zwei-fel. Zwei… oh my god!” Such were his thoughts. Luckily, the etymological dictionary was there, conveniently placed next to the toilet, for, as so many others, he liked to ingest while eges… gee, what am I blabbering. I’m sorry. So… the word Zweifel directly comes from the word zwei .
A
nd that does make sense. For example… you’re a little hungry so you go to a Souperia . If they only have one soup that sounds good, then you’re fine. You’ll just take that one. But if they have  two soups that sound tasty, then you’ll always have doubt as to whether you picked the right one. So choice between zwei (two) soups kind of leads to Zweifel (doubt)  because y… wait, wait, wait …. hold on  a minute. Doubt. Doub-t. Doub… double … duo… two…. Wow!
I don’t know… I guess, some of you saw that coming from a mile away but to me it was one of these little “Ohhhhhh”-moments when I realized that doubt also comes from the number 2. It looks completely different to Zweifel but the underlying idea is exactly the same… from two comes the idea of choice and from choice comes the idea of hesitation and doubt… or Zweifel.
Now, what about the -fel in Zweifel? Well, this is related to the fold-family so Zweifel literally once meant two-fold. And in fact it was first used as an adjective. It meant that something has two sides and from there it went on to being… well… dubious or doubt-inspiring. But then people started using it as a noun and they invented a new word for the adjective.
Example time:

• Ich habe meine Zweifel, ob das so eine gute Idee ist.
  • I have my doubts, if that is such a good idea.
  • Es gibt keinen Zweifel, dass die Erde rund ist.
  • There is no doubt that the earth is round.
  • Es ist zweifelhaft, ob wir mit dem Projekt rechtzeitig fertig werden.
  • It is doubtful whether we can finish the project on time.

As for the opposite, the “doubt-freeness”, there are actually several options. Zweifelsfrei is the least unlimited one … uhm…  and it’s mostly used in combination with

• Ich kann zweifelsfrei beweisen, dass du mit Badputzen dran bist.
  • I can prove beyond doubt that it’s your turn to clean the bathroom.

. The other options are broader and for the most part they’re  interchangeable.

• Thomas verschwendet zweifelsohne /ohne Zweifel / zweifellos  am meisten Druckerpapier.
  • Undoubtedly, Thomas is the one to waste the most printing paper.

Undoubtedly a really boring example :).
Seriously though, I checked Google N-Gram and zweifellos is by faaaaaar the most common one. But it’s on the decline. And actually, this graph is kind of fascinating so here it is:

zweifellos-trend

What I find interesting about that is that people in the first half of the 19th century (and before) were apparently  much more certain about their statements. Or they wanted to make the readers think they were by peppering their writing with “zweifellos”. It’s a bit manipulative. I mean, if you’re a student and your professor tells you that something and says there’s no doubt about it, you’d be less likely to ask questions. Same thing for journalists. or politicians. I’ve checked up on undoubtedly and there’s a similar decline.  So maybe this overall decline in the use of “no doubt”-words is an indicator that people are becoming a little “reflected”. But it’s just a theory, maybe it’s only a coincidence.
Anyways… enough with that stuff. Time to get to the meat. And that will be served with an entree of but.

zweifeln and its prefixes

Here it comes: the basic verb is zweifeln and it means to doubt.
BUT!
The grammar of the two verbs is rather different. Doubting can be done to stuff directly.

• I doubt something.

Zweifeln cannot.

• Ich zweifle etwas….  is wrong

It’s understandable but it is a pretty huge, bad sounding mistake. Zweifeln alone is really just sitting there, being doubtful.Which is what I did, when I found out that there are T-Shirts with this use of to doubt... for dogs.
Here!

• Ich zweifele.

I really do.
But anyways, if you want to name a target for your doubting in German, you need a preposition… an.

• Ich zweifele an der Kompetenz meines Chefs.
  • I doubt my bossess’s’ competence.

And, if we want to connect an activity, we should use the respective da-word.

• Ich zweifele daran, dass mein Chef kompetent ist.
  • I doubt my boss is competent.

Now you’re probably like “Man, German is soooo annoying with its prepositions and da-words”.
But the good news is that a preposition is not the only way to give your doubting a direction. We can also harness the incredible power of prefixes, namely be-.
It does what it always does, and that’s exactly what we need here. Bezweifeln mean“to inflict doubt on something”.

• Ich bezweifele die Kompetenz meines Chefs.
  • I doubt my boss’s competence.
  • Ich bezweifele, dass mein Chef kompetent ist.
  • I doubt that my boss …

Bezweifeln is a bit stronger than zweifeln an and I think it’s a bit closer to to doubt, actually.

• Ich zweifele daran.
  • Ich bezweifele das.

The first one sounds more like

• I have my doubts about that.

while the second one really is

• I doubt  that.

Bezweifeln doesn’t work for people though.

• Ich zweifele an meinem Chef.
  • I doubt my boss. / I have doubts about my boss.

Bezweifeln would sounds like I doubt that my boss exists, here.
Anyway, bezweifeln is not the only prefix-verb (of course). Behold: anzweifeln.

• Ich zweifele deine Kompetenz an.
  • I doubt your competence.

Because two verbs that mean to doubt are not enough.
The difference between anzweifeln and the other two is that anzweifeln is not really full force. The an has the same vibe like the one in anfangen (to begin) here. So when you anzweifeln, you’re just starting to doubt something, you’re raising doubt. A bit like second guessing, maybe. Like…
“Wait a second… you’re saying you’re late because you had to bring Thomas home because he was so drunk?!?! That doesn’t sound like the Thomas I know. ”
That is anzweifeln. The line to zweifeln an is actually super-blurry but grammatically, they’re different and anzweifeln works like bezweifeln.

• Ich zweifele deine Story an.
  • Ich zweifele an deiner Story.
  • I have my doubts/reservations about your story.

When the an is a prefix at the end, then “story” is in the accusative, when the an is used a preposition it takes the dative. Man, even writing such a sentence makes tired. I can’t imagine how it must be to learn that stuff.
And that brings us right to the last verb for today… verzweifeln.
Verzweifeln means to despair and there are actually two of the four possible idea of the ver-prefix that makes sense here… away and change.
Here’s roughly how it works:  you have a doubt about something. Then you have some more doubts about, and then some more. Then you also have some doubts about something else, and some more doubts about that. And then some extra doubt about a third thing, some general doubt and a doubt-cherry on top. You’re buried under a pile of doubt. You’re just one big doubt yourself. Either way, you don’t know what to do, you don’t see a way out. And so you lose hope … which is where verzweifeln directly meets to despair. Because  spair  comes from the old Latin word for…  hope. In Spanish for instance, to hope means esperar. So to despair means you’re loosing hope because you don’t see a way out.  Verzweifeln  comes from the other side and literally means you doubt so much that you don’t see a way out. And then you loose hope. Different approaches, same result, same meaning.

• Maria verzweifelt an Thomas Ignoranz.
  • Maria despairs of Thomas’ ignorance.

The related words are probably more important than the verb itself … Verzweiflung and verzweifelt.

• Deutsch treibt mich an den Rand der Verzweiflung.
  • German brings me to the verge of despair.
  • Thomas ist verzweifelt.
  • Thomas is desperate/in despair.
  • Verzweifelt versuche ich dich zu verstehen.
  • Desperately I am trying to understand you.

Oh, there were three vers in the last example.How neat :). Aren’t German prefixes just awesome. Someone should write a book about them. The good news is:
We are. I mean… we at the German is Easy radio station. A book with explanations and also small dictionary. And the best news is that the release date is December 20th. I have my doubts about that though. You know, our interns here are a super lazy. Just leeching coffee all day.  I probably should drop by their office and bitch at them right now. Or maybe I could ask Steve to mix some Adderall powder into our coffee-vending machine. That should have ’em focused all right. But I doubt he’d do it. He’s too soft on them, you know. There… just now, one of them is waltzing by the studio window as if he’s  Captain Stroll. So lazy… it’s incredible. Back in my day, interns used to be mo… but anyway… I… I  think  we’re done for today.

This was our German Word of the Day der Zweifel. It means doubt and the core of both words is the idea of duality. And choice can lead to doubt because the grass is always greener when you smoke i… wait, I bezweifle that that’s how it goes. Anyway, if you have Zweifel about some of the words we’ve learned today, or if you want to try some examples or if you’re just super-verzeweifelt about German and need to vent just leave a comment.
I hope you liked it and  schöne Woche :)

jiamin
jiamin

>>We can also harness the incredible power of prefixes, namely be-.
It does what it always does, and that’s exactly what we need here.

What does “be-” always do? I think there is some pattern but I cannot figure it out. Is there an article explaining this? Thanks!
E.g. zahlen and bezahlen seems same to me. stelen, bestelen….emmmmm. I just get lost.

jiamin
jiamin

thanks!

Ja!, Das ist genau was ich gemeint habe.Danke nochmal!

Neutronhammer
Neutronhammer

Ach,quatsch habe ich wieder etwas falsch geschrieben.Der erster Satz war wahrscheinlich richtig.

Neutronhammer
Neutronhammer

* Würde ich mich grundsätzlich “i had a little doubt,…” auf Deutsch auszudrücken.

Neutronhammer
Neutronhammer

Hallo, Ich möchte wissen, ob es richtig wäre ” Zweifel an etwas haben” zu verwenden.
Also, Beispielsweise “Ich hatte einen kleinen Zweifel daran,deshalb hab’ ich Sie nochmal gefragt” oder sowas ähnliches.Würde Ich grundsätzlich “i had a little doubt,…” auf Deutsch auszudrücken. Gibt’s noch andere oder variante ,die gebräuchlicher sind.
Danke für die mühe!

Daniel

I like the feeling it gives though. Recently I’ve been listening to a band called Equilibrium who are a German Folk-Metal band (i generally dislike metal, but they have beautiful acoustic versions), and their titles/lyrics have this phenomenon a lot. I’m not sure why I like it, I think it’s because their lyrics sounds rather folky and dated.

Wenn die Täler grüner werden, wenn **der Wälder Rauschen** klingt,
Wenn uns leicht die Schritte tragen, wenn **der Männer’ Sang** erklingt,
Kommen wir an uns’re Tore, endlich brichts aus uns heraus:
Heimat! Wir sind zuhaus!
(song is ‘Heimwärts’)

and

Einsam stehn die schwarzen Zinnen,
Trotzen **aller Zeiten Wirren**.
So auch ich, komm sei mein Zeug:
Blutend, aber ungebeugt!
(this is from ‘Unbesiegt’)

Reply to  Daniel

Ich glaube, es hat mindestens ebensoviel mit der Reimerzeugung zu tun, wie mit dem Herstellen des Altertumsgefühls. Es ist nämlich eine bei mir aufgefallene Tatsache, dass des Reims wegen (hehe) deutsche Dichter alle deutschsprachlichen Tendenzen einfach “überschreiten”, sei es die Nebensatzwortstellung, die Satzklammer oder einfach die Rechtschreibung.

Grateful Reader

“Moment, ich bin verwirrt”

Sind meine Neuwortschöpfungen wirklich so unverständlich? :(

“Dieses Überschreiten von Grenzen in der Poesie ist doch universell oder? Ich meine, ist das nicht in Russisch auch so?”

Ja, aber die russische Satzstruktur ist unvergleichbar freier…

Grateful Reader

“es” bezog sich auf die Vorkommen des vorangestellten Genitivs in den Gedichten.

Grateful Reader

oder vllt besser gesagt “… auf die Genitivvoranstellung in …”? ;)

Grateful Reader

Ich werde freilich nicht bestreiten, dass “Wortneuschöpfung” der Standardbegriff dafür ist. Ich bemerke nur, dass meine Version auch in Büchnern vorkommt, und zwar sogar in den linguistischen, was Google Books zeigt. Das ist kein Grund, um sich daran zu halten, aber ich würde sagen, das ist auch kein wirklicher Fehler. Wenn überhaupt etwas, dann eher eine Marotte. ;)

Zum Beispiel:
Kurt Rein, “Wortbildung und Wortwahl im heutigen Werbedeutsch”, in: Deutscher Wortschatz: Lexikologische Studien. Ludwig Erich Schmitt zum 80. Geburtstag von seinen Marburger Schülern, 1988. S. 472.

“Arbeitshypothesen
— Überprüfung, inwieweit die an der „hochwertigen“ Anzeigenwerbung herausgearbeiteten Charakteristika wie Nominalstil, Kurzsyntax, Fremdwortvorliebe oder Neuwortschöpfung in die „Trivialwerbung“ übernommen wurden.”

Der Autor, Kurt Rein, ist ein Prof am Inst. für Deutsche Philologie in München.
Einer der Redakteure, Peter von Polenz, war einer von bekanntesten deutschen Sprachwissenschaftlern, Autor vieler Standardwerke.

Keiner davon hat irgendetwas gemerkt…

Grateful Reader

“es geht da nicht um falsch oder richtig sondern nur um idiomatisch oder nicht”

Es war übrigens nicht meine Absicht, in Zweifel zu ziehen, dass man doch zwischen falschem und richtigem Deutsch im Prinzip unterscheiden kann. Wenn ich “Neuwwordschapingen” geschrieben hätte, wäre das ein Fehler, und nicht halt weil das Neuwort unidiomatisch wäre.

David P
David P

meines Chefs Kompetenz

Are you always allowed to use the English style word order and the genitive like you done here instead of the more common (and way more confusing for beginners) “das Kompetenz meines Chefs”?

Reply to  David P

As far as I know it sounds generally very poetic and archaic. It comes up in a lot of old texts, namely fairy tales and plays and the like (think the Shakespeare of the German speaking communities). Honestly I find it odd that Emanuel used it in an example and to me it sounds stilted, but hey – I’m no native.

Daniel

It’s also worth pointing out that I didn’t notice it at all until it was pointed out. I think it was interference from English! By the I also posted a response below, it was meant for this comment but I forgot to reply directly to it – I hope that’s not confusing!

Guilherme
Guilherme

Great as usual, but I’ll make a few question if I’m allowed.

1.) Can you replace “Verzweiflung” with a noun-ified verzweifeln, as in “Das Verzweifeln” ?
1.1.) if so is there a difference in nuance?
2.) Your example with “Ignoranz” doesn’t make it clear but does the “an” used with “verzweifeln” also take the dative?
3.) So “mit etwas dran sein” means “to be one’s turn to do something” ?
3.1.) on the topic of “dran” could you explain if there’s any relation to the phrase in this video?

…also, I don’t know if you are keen on requests but if you ever get DOUBTFUL about what to write next could you please take in consideration the verbs “treiben”, “ziehen”, “schlagen”, “machen”, “fallen”, “werfen”, “hören”, “suchen”, “tragen”, “halten”, “zeichen” and their prefixes? (I think you might’ve already written articles about some of those but I’m too lazy to search ;-P )

Oh, and lately it’s been all about the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berliner Mauer, any thoughts, anecdotes?

Vielen dank!

Guilherme
Guilherme
Reply to  Guilherme

***********wrong video, I meant this

Reply to  Guilherme

Ich wage es, ein paar Fragen zu beantworten.
1) Ich glaube, “das Verzweifeln” impliziert eine Zeitdauer, und das gilt, soweit ich weiß, für die meisten substantivierten Infinitive. Das Verzweifeln ist eher ein Prozess, die Verzweiflung ist eher ein Zustand.
Ich glaube auch, im Deutschen funktioniert das Ersetzungsprinzip, nämlich: nachdem sich eine nichtinfinitive Substantivierung durchgesetzt hat und lexikalisiert geworden ist, ersetz sie die entsprechende Infinitivform in meisten Fällen, außer wenn man den zeitlichen Umfang hervorheben will (“beim …”, “am …”, “während des …”).

2. Es ist der Dativ, wie auch in meisten ähnlichen Fällen (“ich habe Freude daran…” usw.)

3. Ja.

3.1. Ganz nah dran = wortwörtlich “totally close to/[or at] it”. Für mich wirkt “dran sein” ein bisschen abstrakter, obwohl der Sinn mehr oder weniger gleich ist.

4. Umm, wenn du zu faul zum Nachgucken bist, was bringen dir dann künftige Beiträge?

Grateful Reader

Sollst Zenmate (oder derartiges) mit nem Ami Proxy nutzen, dann funzts.

Guilherme
Guilherme

Danke sehr! Das war echt hilfreich!

Was meintest du aber mit “was bringen dir künftige Beiträge” ?
Wenn ich sagte ich wär zu faul um nachzugucken wollte ich mich nur den Ärger damit ersparen damit ich schneller meine Vorschläge einbringen könnte.Es wäre ärgerlich gewesen das ganze site durchsuchen um nur zu erfahren ob es ein Beitrag jedem meiner Vorschläge schon gab. Außerdem, ich wollte definitiv nicht sagen dass Emanuel neue Beiträge schreiben soll, über Verben, über die er schon geschrieben hat nur weil ich zu faul bin um die alten Beiträge nachzugucken. Das wäre total verrückt!

Guilherme
Guilherme

Thanks a lot!

But hold the phone.. are you actually from Berlin? As in East Berlin? Sheesh! I mean, it’s kinda cool if you didn’t experience any of the bad stuff. By the way, how old were you? (I was minus two ^.^)

Also, about the searching, and as I aswered the Greateful Reader up there, I did not mean in any way you should write about stuff you’ve written before just because I’m too lazy to search it up, if that’s what you gathered from what I said. I just had a few random suggestions written down and didn’t feel like checking to see if each and every of them were new. Actually I’m even planning on revisiting each one of your articles on prefixed verbs but I’m going through the most recent first hence I didn’t know if there was already articles for the suggestions I made.

Also, super excited about this book I keep hearing from. It’s gotta be great if this website is any indication. Keep up the good work.

Kleine Korrektur: things/people GET on your nerves.

Thanks for reminiscing for us. Did you go out to the celebration this past weekend? Or to the 20th back in 2009? I don’t get the impression that a lot of people were too impressed (and I thought the balloon launch was a bit underwhelming). But I wondered how it came across.

Another suggestion if it’s not already on the list: “reißen” + prefixes. I feel like that could be a fun one.

They did giant dominoes back in ’09 – I thought it was pretty cool.

Yeah, the non-illuminated balloons were pretty anticlimactic, but (at least down on the East Side Gallery) it was also hard to tell the logic behind how they were being released. They mostly didn’t go in very rapid or smooth succession, and the release seemed to start right in the middle of the stretch where we were standing rather than coming down the line from the direction of the Brandenburger Tor where it started. But it was definitely a fun atmosphere and I really did like how the balloons looked when they were lit and on their stands (a lot like streetlights).

There were definitely a few “Fressbuden” down near O2 World (great word, by the way) – one was called (I think) “Knoblauch-Hütte” and hoo boy did it smell like it…

Grateful Reader

Eine Idee für nen eventuellen künftigen Beitrag: erscheinen vs. vorkommen vs. auftreten. A bissl Philosophie ;)

Hab ein tolles Wort erfahren:
schmelztauchverzinkt

Obwohl ich es nie zuvor gesehen habe, habe ich fast sofort verstanden, dass es hier um Verzinkung durch Eintauchen von etwas in die Zinkschmelze geht. Deutsch ist cool :)

Grateful Reader

Danke, das wusste ich gar nicht.

Kuichen
Kuichen

Super guter Artikel! Ich verzweifelte davor immer daran, dass ich überhaupt keines Gefühl mit dem deutschen Präfix haben kann. Danke deiner Erklärung zweifele ich daran nicht mehr. Aber ich bezweifele den Grund für die Verschleppung des Buchs. Und die “blame the intern” Strategie bringt nichts. Die Intern könnten hingegen ihre Karriereaussichtten anzweifeln.

“Ich kann zweifelsfrei bewiesen, dass du mit Badputzen dran bist.”
Da hast du wohl “beweisen” schreiben wollen?

jacbop
jacbop

Ein Buch? Das ist ein Witz, oder? Du schreibst immer mit deinem vollen Ernst…. Das wäre sehr toll!

Daniel

Haha mann ich dachte zuerst ich sah einen ‘zweifel’-wortstamm bei ‘kurzweilig’…. und dann ist es aufgefallen, dass es da leider nichts zu sehen war. :<

Emanuel- dort ist kein Zweifel, dass du bist mein Gott. :D haha see what i did there? I hope that was grammatically correct…

On an unrelated note, can you quickly explain to me what the difference between “sich” and “selbst” is? I have looked all over and I still have no clue.

Danke schön

Reply to  Anonymous

” I hope that was grammatically correct…”
Nope.

*Es gibt keinen Zweifel daran, dass du mein Gott bist.
oder
*Es besteht kein Zweifel…

“On an unrelated note, can you quickly explain to me what the difference between “sich” and “selbst” is? ”

selbst = the word “self” and its derivatives in context, like myself, yourself… (also, “even”, in other contexts)
sich = reflexive pronoun

Grateful Reader

Übrigens, kann mann auch sagen:
Im gesprochenen Deutsch
Im gesprochenen Deutschen
?
All die verschiedenen Variationen sind manchmal verwirrend ;)

Du meinst deine?

Grateful Reader

“Ja, “im gesprochenen Deutsch””

Deine war doch “in gesprochenem Deutsch” ;)
Was ist dann idiomatischer?

LEO
LEO

Es ist zweifelfrei, dass ich die Post genossen habe. Das kann soger ein verzweifelte Person zwefelslos verstehen und damit seine Verzweiflung reduzieren. Vielen Dank für die Post.

Reply to  LEO

*zweifelsfrei
*den Post
*sogar
*eine
*zweifellos
*ihre
*den Post

Grateful Reader

Das ist ein ähnlicher Fall wie bei “Mädchen”. Es ist zwar Neutrum, man könnte aber auch auf “sie” “umschalten”.
Nichtsdestotrotz kommt es mir in dem Fall ein bisschen sexistisch vor, da es angennomen wird, eine “Standardperson” sei männlich ;).

Daniel

Bei Belles Lettres wurde ein sehr schöner Artikel darüber geschrieben, in dem es um das ‘Standardgeschlecht’ und Ikonizität geht. Es geht darum, dass es eher anders rum sei: Das *grammatikalische* Standardgeschlecht ist halt das “Maskulinum”, und männliche Wörter werden durch Zufall dazu genommen. Also, Wörter die ‘der’ als Nominativartikel haben sind von der Grammatik her das Standardgenus, und wenn man eine männliche Sache erwähnen möchte muss man halt da gar keinen Unterschied dazwischen machen. Bundeskanzler heißt ein Mensch, der einfach ein Bundeskanzler ist, ob Frau oder Mann, oder sogar etwas dazwischen. Das kann irgendeine Person sein. Wenn es um viele verschiedene Personen geht, zum Beispiel beim Bewerben einer Stelle, benutzt man auch da das Standardgeschlecht.

Es gibt jedoch viele Leute, die Angst davor haben, dass sie diskriminieren würden, wenn sie das “-In” am Ende der Stellung auslassen würden.

Grateful Reader

Daniel, BL’s Beitrag ist mir bekannt, aber da geht es um die (meistens historische) Zuweisung von Geschlechtern konkreten Wörtern. Wenn der BL-Autor recht hat, dann ist das Maskulinum in der Tat der Standardgenus, was diese Genuszuweisung angeht. (Du weißt ja aber, dass der Autor selbst bemerkt, der Name “Maskulinum” sei falsch und irreführend. Da kann ich nur zustimmen.)

Hier geht es hingegen darum, wie man einem abstrakten Konzept (dem der “allgemeinen” Person) “Geschlecht” zuweist, wenn man sich auf dieses Konzept in einem Satz indirekt bezieht. Rein grammatikalisch betrachtet, müsste das Geschlecht vom Bezugswort übernommen werden. Und standardsprachlich, glaube ich, gilt es. Nicht aber umgangssprachlich. Und das ist eigentlich die Frage: warum so? Nämlich, warum darf diese Regel (oder Tendenz, wie auch immer man die nennt) in dem Fall verletzt werden. Mit der Standardgenuszuweisung im Sinne von BL hat das wirklich nicht viel zu tun.

Man kann dazu verschiedene Hypothesen anführen. Es kann sein, dass es am tiefsitzenden sprachlichen Sexismus liegt. Oder es kann sein, dass Emanuels Vorschlag (dass “jemand” das eigentliche, obwohl versteckte und nur angedeutete Bezugswort ist) stimmt, und dann ist alles auch einigermaßen klar. Aber den Fall mithilfe BL’s Theorie zu erklären wäre meiner Meinung nach ein Kategorienfehler.

Daniel

Ja da hast du bestimmt Recht. Aber zB, wenn ich mir alte (britische) englische Anreden oder sogar Filme anhöre/gucke, höre ich auch sehr häufig “his/he/usw.” im Bezug auf niemanden speziell, als wäre das standardsprachlich. Und, soweit ich weiß, war es auch mal so. Im Gegensatz dazu sagt man heutzutage eher “they/their/them”. Wenn ich seit langem keine andere Sprache gesprochen habe, fange ich normalerweise an, die dritte pluralische Person zu benutzen, wenn das natürlich nicht in anderen Sprachen gängig ist. So denke ich daran, das liegt meistens an Angewohnheit.

Was das Deutsch anbetrifft, sah ich auch folgendes in einem Englischfachbuch stehen, als ich in Deutschland war: “If someone has lost their luggage…” und der Besitzer des Buchs hat daneben geschrieben: “??? _his_ luggage?” oder etwas in die Richtung.

Es ist mir aufgefallen, dass viele halt nicht daran denken, dass sowas auf einen männlichen Menschen beziehen sollte. Ich glaube, dass als Deutscher denkt man nicht, dass sein/ihn/ihm etc. nur für Männer gilt., sondern denkt man (oder fühlt man sogar – das Denken ist die nächste Stufe, finde ich), dass das bei allen Menschen gilt. Und dann, wenn man einen Mann erwähnen möchte, gebraucht man auch die Standardpronomen, da es nichts besonders für Männer gibt.

Die Frage ist dann… warum gibt es eine besondere Kategorie für Frauen, und Männer nicht? :D
Also heißt das, dass man das aus verschiedenen Blickwinkeln sehen kann. Na ja, jedem das Seine. Und sogar mit dem Satz ist ja vieles los! Warum jeder, mancher, und nicht jede, manche?!

Jede das Ihre? :D

Und dann warum man und nicht frau? Es scheint so, als müsste Frau wirklich ihre Lieblingssprachkleinigkeiten auswählen.

Grateful Reader

Mir ist gerade eingefallen, dass “sein” wirklich nicht nur als männlich betrachtet werden muss. In der Tat: “das Mädchen liest sein Buch”. Es ist wohl dann ziemlich neutral.

Grateful Reader

“Ich finde die Frage “Warum darf die Regel verletzt werden” im Kontext von Sprache ziemlich deplaziert. Sprache ist gesetzlich nicht geregelt, daher darf man zunächst mal alles.”

Doch ist es gesetzlich geregelt, das heißt, von mysteriösen, sich mit der Zeit wandelnden sprachlichen Gesetzen, die zwar nicht (oder nicht immer) auf dem Papier zu sehen sind, die es aber letztendlich entscheiden, ob etwas zu einer Sprache gehört oder nicht. Man darf z.B. nicht, “sprachlich” gesehen, ständig die Verbviertstellung benutzen und gleichzeitig behaupten, gut Deutsch zu sprechen bzw. schreiben. So wie man es nicht darf, “2+2=5” für korrekt zu halten, und zu behaupten, man kenne such gut mit Mathe aus. Man geriet dafür zwar nicht in den Knast, aber…

Grateful Reader

Also, in dem Fall spielt meine Verwendung des Wortes “Gesetz” eher auf wissenschaftliche Gesetze an, wie das Gravitationsgesetz. Die sind auch nicht absolut und weisen jede Menge Ausnahmen auf. Immerhin, sei nicht so buchstäblich ;)

Deutsch Lerner
Deutsch Lerner
Reply to  Anonymous

Would Zweifel be related to the english expression “to be in two minds about something”?

Janice Sant
Janice Sant

You won t see this one, not before you see it!

Janice

Andy
Andy

LOL. It is indeed gibberish!