Word of the Day – “der Raum”

raumHello everyone,

and welcome to our German Word of the Day. This time we’ll take a look at the meaning of

der Raum

Der Raum is of course the German brother of English room and it is all about space … in all kinds of uses.

• Maria hat so eine krasse Austrahlung… wenn sie in einen Raum
    kommt, steht sie sofort im Mittelpunkt.
  • Maria has such strong charisma… whenever she comes into a
    room she immediately is the center of attention.

• Deine Suppe… naja, ich sag’ mal so… es gibt noch Raum für Verbesserungen.
  • Your soup… well, let me put it this way…. there is still room for improvement.
  • Eine Reise durch Raum und Zeit.
  • A journey through space and time.
    (space as in universe is sometimes also called Weltraum, astronauts are Raumfahrer… like…  they drive up there in their Mercedes; German cars can go everywhere I guess)

Naturally, there are also many common compound nouns with it.

• Ich brauche in einer Beziehung viel Freiraum.
  • I need a lot of clearance/free space in a relationship.
  • Mein Koffer ist im Kofferraum.
  • My suitcase is in the trunk.

• Der Politiker sieht keinen Spielraum für Steuersenkungen.
  • The politician sees no scope/room/margin for tax cuts.
  • Thomas ist im Zeitraum von 2 Wochen 8 mal zu spät zur Arbeit gekommen.
  • Over a period of 2 weeks Thomas has been late to work 8 times.

Zeitraum... hmmm …  maybe that’s where Mozart got his inspiration for his space-time.
But anyway, there is one area where Raum and room don’t really match up… and that’s our home,or more generally places where we live. Sure, a 3-room flat is sometimes called Dreiraumwohnung but the rooms themselves are not called Räume, they are called Zimmer…. like Hans Zimmer, the film composer. But you have to say “Tsimmer
Das Zimmer is related  timber and also to words like dome,  domicile or Russian dom (house). They all come from a root that meant to build. And because for a long time houses were build with wood, it’s not totally crazy to call it Zimmer. Here are the most important ones…

• Badezimmer – bath room
  • Wohnzimmer – living room
  • Schlafzimmer – bedroom
  • Kinderzimmer – (dictionary said nursery, but I have doubts… is there a word for just the room in a flat?)
  • Einzelzimmersingle room
  • Doppelzimmer – double room/twin

All right.
Now, all this is certainly nice to know but what really makes Raum special and a Word of the Day is the verb räumen –  yet another one of those verbs that are missing in textbooks but that people use every day… at least in combination with prefixes. So let’s take a look.

räumen

The core idea of räumen is not very surprising… and if you think I’m going to pull a cheap joke by giving a bogus, then let me tell you this:  you err. The core of aufräumen is “to freshen up”.  Haha…. gotcha.. it is to make room”.
Now, if we want to make room we have to remove whatever is taking up the space. And that is what räumen is all about… removing something. And because it is also about space, we usually räumen larger objects. You wouldn’t use räumen in context with a few bread crumbs that you wipe of the table.
Now you’re like “Give us examples. What’s the translation? “… well, the best translation is probably to clear… because it has the same weird double focus as  räumen…. double focus isn’t really a thing, don’t worry. I just needed a word. So… the basic structure is this:

• Thomas räumt etwas.
  • Thomas clears something.

Subject, verb, direct object. Plain and simple. But once we look at what etwas can be, we get two quite different meanings. Of course etwas can be the thing that gets removed.

• Thomas räumt Schnee.
  • Thomas clears the snow.

But also the location that gets emptied can be the direct object, too. And that is the far more common use.

• Thomas räumt seine Wohung.
  • Thomas clears his flat.

That means that he removes all his stuff and leaves himself. Does that lead to confusion? Well… not really. Often there is some information in the sentence that gives it away

• Ich räume meinen Schrank nach draussen.
  • I bring my closet outside.
  • Ich räume meinen Schrank leer.
  • I empty my closet.

And even without any hint… context mostly makes it clear.
Now, the verb räumen itself isn’t that useful in daily life but this weird … I guess we could call it double focus is present in most of the prefix versions.
Let’s take for instance abräumen.  The ab- adds the idea of taking away from the top of something.

• Ich räume den Tisch ab.
  • I clear the table.
  • Ich räume die Teller ab.
  • I am taking away the plate.

In the first example, we are told the location and not what exactly is being removed, in the second example it is the other way around. Context clears it up… haha… clears it up. Get it? Clear like räumen… meh never mind.
Very similar to abräumen are ausräumen and einräumen. Aus is about taking stuff out of something and ein.. well, you get the idea :)

• Ich habe den Küchenschrank ausgeräumt. Jetzt wische ich den aus und dann räume ich die Gläser wieder ein.
  • I have emptied the kitchen cabinet. Now I’ll wipe it out and then I’ll put the glasses back in.

These last few examples had a lot to do with  cleaning. And the next one is even a translation for that.
Aufräumen is kind of a general term for bringing stuff in order and every kid in Germany hears it on a daily basis.

• Räum dein Zimmer auf!
  • Clean up your room!

Putzen, waschen, reinigen, sauber machen... all those are to clean more or less about removing dirt and they imply water or detergent or something. Aufräumen is to clean too, but it is more about bringing things in order.. picking up all clothes from the floor and folding them, bringing all the cups and plates to the kitchen, sorting the DVD collection… that sort of thing. It can include the use of water and wiping… for instance if we have to aufräumen our kitchen after a party, but that’s not the main component.
And aufräumen isn’t only for rooms.

• Ich habe gestern mal meine Fetsplatte aufgeräumt… danach hatte ich 10 Terrabyte im Mülleimer.
  • Yesterday, I cleaned up my hardrive… after I was done I had 10 terra-bytes in the trash.
  • Gestern hatten wir Investorenbesuch. Da mussten wir alle unsere Schreibtische aufräumen.
  • We had investors visiting yesterday. We all had to clean our desks for that.

Does aufräumen have the double focus like the others? Well… most use the location as the direct object… room, desk, hard-drive. But there is stuff like

• Räum deinen Mist auf.
  • Clean up your mess.

and I think this is not about having tidy mess after, so we can, without a doubt, say that it is also possible to aufräumen the cause of the aufräumen…. uhm… maybe I should aufräumen that last sentence. But anyway… aufräumen can also be used without any object.The location and the target is then usually implied by context.

• Oh Gott. Morgen kommt meine Schwiegermutter. Ich muss hier unbedingt aufräumen.
  • Oh God, my mother-in-law is coming tomorrow. I really have to clean here.

All right.
Now there are a still a few other verbs left. Umräumen uses the “change”-meaning of “um” and it basically means to rearrange the furniture in one’s home… quite a handy word actually.

• Ich habe umgeräumt.
  • “I have rearranged ” (lit.)

Then, there is wegräumen and this one actually cannot refer to the location, that get’s “spaced up”. Only to the thing you remove.

• Ich räume meine Sachen weg.
  • I put/square away my stuff.

Last but not lea… well… actually last AND least we have verräumen, which is a technical term for storing away stock. Yeah… räum that on your passive pile.
So. let me think, is that it?… I don’t want to forget anything… uhm… …oh  yeah… there are a few abstract meanings in more or less fixed phrasings …

• Der Politker räumt Fehler ein.
  • The politician admits mistakes.
  • Youtube räumt gemeinnützigen Organisationen Sonderrechte ein.
  • Youtube grants special rights/privileges to organisations of public utility.
  • Thomas hat beim Poker richtig abgeräumt.
  • Thomas really cleaned up  in poker. (won big time)

and what else… uhm… related words, yeah of course there are a few related words

• Wir brauchen zwei Augen um räumlich zu sehen.
  • We need to eyes to see in 3D.(the dimension of room)
  • Das Zelt wirkt klein, ist aber sehr geräumig.
  • The tent looks small but it is very roomy/spacious.

Aaaand… I think that’s it. Awesome. So this was our German Word of the Day der Raum… Raum means rooms, (unless  it is one room we live in) and it is the basis of the verb räumen. Räumen has at its core the idea of “making room by removing something”  it can take the thing you remove as well as the location you remove it from as a direct object and, together with various prefixes, this idea is often used in sense of  some sort cleaning… abräumen, aufräumen, wegräumen… all those are part of daily life and I’m sure you’ll come across them sooner or later.
If you have any questions about today’s words or if you want to try out some examples of your own, just leave me a comment.
I hope you liked it, and see you next time.

mw
mw

What about corners? In Spanish there is a distinction between la esquina and el rincon specifying an ‘outside’ corner vs an ‘inside’ corner. Does this distinction exist between die Ecke und der Winkel?

Could we have explained the following sentence or similar: “ich lasse mir von einem Stein nicht meinen Ruhm stehlen”?
1) ich lasse mir vs ich lasse mich
2) what the structure “stehlen etw von etw” translates into?

jwan
jwan

Sie sind großartige Deutschlehrerin .. danke von Herz

Andy
Andy

das hast du DIR so geglaubt…

Earnest Learner
Earnest Learner

Hi
The best thing I like about your daily german is: when you talk about something, a word, a grammar concept, anything, you drill down to all possible usage as well as related vocabulary. The occasional humour and anecdotes add spice and keeps the reader glued until the end of the post. Besides this, the clarity in design and font used makes the page read friendly. Thanks a lot for taking efforts.

Hay
Hay

“Der Politiker sieht keinen Spielraum für Steuersenkungen.”

Does this literally mean, “The politician sees no ‘play room’ for tax cuts?” That makes sense to me, as a Native English speaker. People occasionally use the term “play room” when talking about budgets. Like, “If we allow our employees 3 weeks to complete the project, it will give them a little ‘play room’ if something unexpected happens.” Also, wiggle room. Both are cute.

Kaiser
Kaiser

Hi,
I’m a native speaker too. “Playroom” in that context sounds wrong to me, I’d only ever use that in the context of children. I’d assume the speaker was transliterating “Spielraum” tbh. “Wiggle room”or “room to manoeuvre” sound best.

Thanks for the great articles, it’s almost impossible to get this sort of colloquial usage anywhere. :-)

Zoe

I think “wiggle room” would work there, yes. It’s used in a lot of contexts, at least in spoken English. I don’t think it would be used in, say, a written business report or a newspaper, but it would be fine for a business meeting or a TV news report.

Andy
Andy

Danke vielmal fuer jeden Artikle. ich lerne jedesmal etwas neues.

Helmut
Helmut

Hallo Emmanuel, (Sorry, if I asked this question under your word-of-the-day “liegen,” but I’m not sure if it was submitted successfully.)

Totally off the subject here, but I’ve seen this used in several places due to the “Hitzewelle” in Deutschland…..

Es herrscht eine Hitzewelle in Deutschland. Or…Es herrscht eine Affenhitze.

Why do you use “herrschen” here for the verb?

Do you have to use it, or could you use another verb? Ex: Wir haben eine Hitzewelle in Deutschland. Will this work as well?

VIelen Dank im Voraus!

Grateful Reader
Grateful Reader

Du hast doch etwas vergessen, und zwar Räumlichkeiten ;)

Andy
Andy

Ich kann Abräumen und einfach Räumen nicht unterschieden… ich räume den Tisch, Ich räume den Tisch ab?

Klingt das erste so, als ob ich den Tisch raus aus dem Haus nehme?

jag041
jag041

Könnte man sagen, wenn er jemandem einen Platz im Bus oder Zug abgeben, “ich mache Raum”? Oder vielleicht “Ich räume diesen Platz”?

Ich habe noch eine Frage, aber die geht um eine Erfahrung, die ich in Frankfurt hatte. Ich war in einem Bus, und ich hatte mich auf einen Platz gesetzt. Dann kommt eine Frau ein, und, um ihr ein bisschen Raum zu machen (?), bewege ich mich. Sie sagt mir, “geht geht” oder etwas so… Ich hatte keine Ahnung, was sie damit gemeint hatte… Ist das einen gemeinsamen Ausdruck?

jag041
jag041
Reply to  jag041

Ich weiß, dass ich wahrscheinlich ein paar Fehler mit den Zeitformen gemacht habe… Ich bin nie ganz sicher, wann ich aufhören soll, in der Vergangenheit zu sprechen… Du hast mir gestern das ein bisschen erklärt, aber es verwirrt mich noch.

cameron harris
cameron harris

Fantastisch! Wir sagen auch ‘to clean up in the casino’ für abräumen (wie ein großer Gewinn) in einem Casino. Ich habe auch zufällig eine neue Bedeutung von ‘wirken’ durch deinen Artikel entdeckt: es kann auch wie ‘scheinen’ sein , ja?
Danke sehr,
Cam

MacFeagel
MacFeagel

A child’s room can indeed be called a nursery, but in using that word you would be signalling your middle-class origins.
Thanks as ever for a useful and clear explanation!

jacbop
jacbop
Reply to  MacFeagel

Wir werden dieses Zimmer ein “play room” nennen.

jacbop
jacbop
Reply to  jacbop

Er, ‘dies’ Zimmer oder ‘dieses’ Zimmer?

jacbop
jacbop

Danke für die Korrektur. Ein doofer Fehler..

James
James

Thanks for the post – I think I’ve been reading the admit/concede einräumen in newspapers without really understanding it!

For your poker example, in English you can also actually say “you cleaned up” at poker (or the races or an awards ceremony or I guess anything where your taking a prize/winnings home).

Betts
Betts

´Zeitraum… hmmm … maybe that’s where Mozart got his inspiration for his space-time.´
;)) Hast du Mozart angehört, als du diese Textstelle geschrieben hast?
Entweder gibt es hier etwas, das ich nicht verstehe, oder du hast Einstein gemeint. :)

Gestern wurde mir einen anderen Gesichtspunkt über den Unterschied zwischen ´einräumen´ und ´zugeben´ mitgeteilt.
Und zwar, dass ´einräumen´und ´zubegen´ für ´Konzession´ bzw. ´Kapitulation´ stehen.

´Ich räume ein, dass ich Fehler gemacht habe.´ —> Ich ´gebe meinen Fehlern Raum´ … irgendwie wird es hier impliziert, dass ich tatsächlich ein paar Fehler gemacht habe aber lass uns auch an die guten Sachen, die ich getan habe, erinnern.
´Nur nachdem ich ihm versicherte, dass er keine Strafen bekommen wird, konnte er endlich zugeben, dass er mehrmals die Schule geschwänzt hat.´
—> hier liegt das Hauptaugenmerk insbesondere auf dieser schlechten Sache, die man zugeben soll.

Was hältst du davon? Die Botschaft kriegt immer hin, sein Ziel zu erreichen aber das Gefühl und die Interpretation sind immer sehr unterschiedlich zwischen Menschen :)

Noch ein tolles Artickel .
– Die Polizei hat den Platz nach dem Unfall AUSgeräumt .
– Ich habe meine Bücher( oder meinen Keller) in den Regal AUFgeräumt .
– Ich räume meiner Fehler EIN was du Recht hast .
– Ich habe die Mülltonne aus der Strasse WEGgeräumt .
– Es gibt immer einen Raum für das Problem Krieg und Frieden in unseren Welt .
– Ich würde meinen Autokoffer UMräumen .
Bis bald .Ahmad

Vilen danke. für die Korrekturen . Es ist net von dir .
– Ich libe das ” pingeling” . Weis du, dass es gibt das gleich adjectif auf Französich : pinailleur . Non tu est précis comme il se doit !!
– Ja ich meinte ” Kofferraum” .Ich habe einen unabsichlichen Fehler gemacht .

mio991
Reply to  Anonymous

In my humble opinion, the correct way to say this would be.

– Die Polizei hat den Platz nach dem Unfall geräumt .
witthout AUS, if you clean a public space you use räumen

– Ich habe die Mülltonne von der Strasse (weg)geräumt .
i would use von instead of aus, Straße is 2D so you can’t take something out of it, aus only works with 3D objects.
also you don’t need weg- here again the part withe the public space applies.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

mio991

Tony
Tony

Hi, I’ve just discovered your web site yesterday and am finding it very helpful in explaining the quirky aspects of the German language which my German wife is struggling to explain clearly. She normally declares I just have to learn it, AH!!!!

Anyway, while reading through the latest word of the day post I found that some of your translations to be not quite correct. For example let’s take “Oh Gott. Morgen kommt meine Schwiegermutter. Ich muss unbedingt aufräumen.”. You gave the translation “Oh god, my mother in law is going to come tomorrow. I so have to clean.”. In my humble opinion a more accurate translation would be “Oh God, my mother-in-law is coming tomorrow. I really must tidy up”. I feel your translation is too literal.

I hope this is helpful

I have to respectfully disagree with the commenter. I think the comment “I really must tidy up” sounds VERY British to my American ears. “I SO have to clean” is idiomatic ‘American’ (with the emphasis on the word “Sooo”) and sounds much better/ more colloquially/casually correct to me. Just my 2 cents worth ;-)