Advent Calendar 2019 – “Ready to Order”

“Ready to Order”

day 17 of our Advent Calendar and today is a premiere, actually, because behind today’s door is a new quiz format :).
For a long time I wanted to do an exercise about word order. But the problem with word order is that there usually is more than one correct answer because the correct order depends highly on the context and what you actually want to say. And even very weird looking orders can be correct in the right circumcisions… I mean stances.
Those of you who have read my series on word order and on the position of nicht will know what I mean.

Now, I was never quite sure which format. But the new quiz software that I am using offers a type of exercise called “sorting”.
And I feel like this might actually be a good way to get a feel for how idiomatic a certain word order sounds.

So here’s what we’ll do today:

I’ll give you a German sentence in 4 different orders and you have to sort them from most to least idiomatic. The most idiomatic one is the one with the leat tension and would be called “normal”. The two in the middle have some tension and thus create special focus and the last one borders on sounding wrong.
I’ll also give you the English translation, but don’t get hung up on that too much.

To order the items, just drag and drop them. We’ll do five sets and you can check after each round if you found the correct order.
IMPORTANT:
In a trial run, it looked liked the software is actually a bit buggy and didn’t recognize correct answers as correct. I couldn’t recreate this mistake but there is a chance that your answer is correct but the system says it’s wrong. For that reason I have added letters to the sentences and given you the correct order as an answer…. like B D A C for example.
If the system marks your answers wrong even if they’re right, please let me know. Then I’ll have to look into the software again (aka reach out to customer support, because I am paying for this stuff).

And of course, also let me know all the questions about the solutions and give me some feedback what you think about this type of exercise. Do you like it? Do you think it’s a good way to get a feel for word order?

Oh and one little health warning: if your knowledge on word order is just based on books or a German course, you might feel a little lost. You kind of need to have read my series on word order to REALLY understand what’s going on here.

Cool! So,  viel Spaß and I’m really curious for your feedback :)

Joanne
Joanne

Hi. I really liked this exercise! I did quite well but several of my answers were marked wrong even though they were right :( For two of them I had the order perfect and the result shown was either all wrong, or 3 wrong. And for another one I just swapped the last two sentences but it was marked all wrong.

Bori
Bori

Toller Test!! Ich möchte gerne mehr davon!! Reihenfolge im Satz ist ein schwieriges Thema für mich..aber die Programmierung funktioniert immer noch nicht..ich habe die Übungen gut gemacht nach den geschriebenen Buchstaben, aber sie wurden falsch gekennzeichnet. Wo finde ich den nicht Artikel? Ich kann ihn nicht finden…

Bori
Bori

Super, danke!

john
john

But the second example worked correctly.
John

john
john

The first example failed in the manner that you predicted. It reproduced my chosen order but labeled it as incorrect.
John

marko
marko

The ability to move the sentences around is fun.
The fact that the colours do not agree with the answer letters has already been noted to be glitchy, so I’m sure you can get it fixed.
Overall, this was a fun confirmation of ability, but not sure how much one could learn if one got them wrong. That’s what makes it appropriate for the Advent Calendar, which is a really fun feature on your site!

Jinksy
Jinksy

Hi. A few times I got thevlabel “incorrect” although my answers matched the letters – huh?

mari
mari

I really liked this quiz. I based my answers on what sounded right/wrong, which ended up giving me a lot of confidence in that I’m starting to develop an ear for what’s idiomatic and what’s not. I had a hard time distinguishing between bad and really bad on two of them, though.

Cyndey B
Cyndey B

Hey !
I like the ease of putting them in order but I do think it was a bit buggy. I know I would not make some of the idiomatic errors – maybe I didn’t understand how to order the sentences completely. It would say “Incorrect” and would show teh order I placed them in. However, it is a nice concept !

Pentatomidae
Pentatomidae

Got really odd results! I got most of them catastrophically wrong (no surprises there!) but the results just quoted back the same order to me. So if I said the order was A B C D then the result was Incorrect A B C D. So what was that all about then?

David Lung
David Lung

I got evry oneright. (I have read your blogs on word order.)l Howeverl, the quiz app marked every one of them wrong.

Stephanee
Stephanee

One of the hardest quizzes to date. I got 2 out of 5.

fairyhedgehog
fairyhedgehog

It’s a fun quiz, but where it puts the answers in the correct order then marks as wrong the ones you had in a different order is confusing. I thought it was showing me what I’d put and marking it! The note of the correct order at the end helped me to sort it out but I couldn’t always remember what I’d put where which would have been helpful.

Maybe a few tweaks, even just to giving you a note of what you’d put, would make it even better. I had fun doing it.

gr155iths
gr155iths

Enjoyed that as the correct word order always causes me to pause when speaking. Got the most idiomatic right in all of them so thats pleasing and 65% overall. More of those types of quizzes would be welcome.

Mark
Mark

I used Chrome while taking the quiz and the software gave me incorrect feedback at two points; According to the answer I mixed up the order for two sentences on question 3, but the software showed green borders for all the sentences. On question 5 I answered correctly but the software showed red borders for two of the sentences. Other than that, the drag-and-drop format is nice :).

Scott MacLean
Scott MacLean

Leider funktioniert es nicht ganz richtig. Mein Antworten waren 4 von 5 mal korrekt, aber jedesmal sagt es “Inkorrekt”. Macht nichts, war spass, danke !! -)

jdentler89
jdentler89

They all seemed to mark correctly except for questions four and five – it marked them wrong even though I had the correct order.

Ruth
Ruth

Not sure whether it’s me that’s inconsistent or the quiz system. I think it responded differently to the same answers on one question when I went around again. Still, it thought I got more right than wrong both times, and that I got through the magical fog successfully, so I’m not inclined to argue.
Question 2 brought thoughts of Yoda.

Amerikanerin
Amerikanerin

Did it again and got the same wrong results on the third question – which, according to the answer key are not as incorrect as the red boxes claim – BACD and I chose BADC. According to the red boxes, the B is also falsch, but it isn’t according to the letter order. Hmmm…

All I really care about was getting the first two correct in each question, and I did according to the letter order – even if the red boxes on the test claim otherwise.

Amerikanerin
Amerikanerin

Very Veird… Got all but #3 correct – How on EARTH was I able to to that! As any professor at Uni – my German is horrible! There is no way I could have gotten ANY right, but I did!

BUT… The last one claimed I got two in the wrong order but I had the same order as the answer ADHS I think it was. Tried to take a screen shot to show you but I pressed the wrong button and found myself on another page and went back and got hijacked on the way and Oh. My. God.

Point being: the last one claimed my answer was wrong but I had the same order as your correct answer.

Number three I botched. Totally.

Peter Lobl
Peter Lobl

When the time comes when I can confidently begin a spoken sentence with “sich” on its own followed by the verb usw… that will be a good day.