German Advent Calendar 2 – T-Tig

“T-Tig”

♥♥

Advent Calendar day number two. And what better way to kick things off than with a bit of actual practice. Time for your tongue to put on its yoga pants because we’ll do a speaking exercise for a topic that is as boring as it is important:

T-TiG

Sounds like a transatlantic trade deal, but it’s short for

Telling the Time in German

And that’s what we’ll practice a little today.

Now, if you’ve read my mini series about talking about time in German, you’ll know that there are two ways to say what time it is.
One is the formal way that they use in the news, which is why I call it News Speak.
And the other one is the “normal” one that people use in daily life, which is why I call it Street Speak.

If you’ve never heard about that or you want to do a little recap,  you can find all you need in the article here:

Time of Day in German

Today, we’ll focus on News Speak and that one is pretty damn easy. You just say the hours, then Uhr and then the minutes.
So this…

• 11:20

would be

• Elf Uhr zwanzig

The only tricky part is that News Speak uses the 24 hour system. German doesn’t have am/pm, so 6 pm will translate to 18:00… or achtzehn Uhr in actual words.
That’s pretty much all you need. So yeah… it’s basically a practice for the numbers :).

How does the exercise work?

I’ll give you a time in numbers and you have to say it in News Speak.
And you have to make a full sentence, so you say

“Es ist blah blah blah.”

Just press the button to start the recording and press again to stop. The button should change color, so if it doesn’t, that’s a sign that the browser doesn’t allow my site to access your microphone. Leave me a comment, if something is not working and I’ll try to help.

The AI will then check how well your recording matches with the correct answer. If the match is good enough, you’ll get a word for word breakdown of how you did and an overall percentage. If it wasn’t good enough a match, you’re prompted to try again.
You can adjust this difficulty yourself at any point in the exercise. I have set it to 60% match but if you want a real challenge you can put it up to 100% or if your mic is not so good and you get frustrated just put it to 40% or lower.

When you click “hint” you’ll see a play button where you can hear me say it.

Cool… so I think we’re  all set and all I have left to say is viel Spaß :)

And, how’d you do? That wasn’t too difficult, right?
Street speak is a bit more of a challenge so we’ll do an exercise for that too in this calendar, so stay tuned for that.
If you have questions about News Speak or the exercise, just leave me a comment.
Have a great day and I’ll see you tomorrow.

Arpan
Arpan

Super fun :)

Margie
Margie

Eine gute Übung! Das AI war über meine Aussage von “Uhr” nicht so froh, aber… die Übung war leicht und hat viel Spaß gemacht! Danke dafür!

Super, danke!

Elizabeth K Hilprecht
Elizabeth K Hilprecht

The button stays red but it flashes.

kurtkoegler
kurtkoegler

Viel Spaß. Danke

Ich liebe dieses AI, kann ich es mit andere Wörter benutzen oder nur mit deinem Quiz? Zum Beispiel, ich kann “Versicherung” und andere Wörter nicht sagen und will das Wort üben, und es ist sehr hilfreich, sofortiges feedback zu bekommen.

Richard
Richard

That was great, thanks.

Wallis S Green
Wallis S Green

I am totally frustrated since I think the quiz would be fun. I am a member and it doesn’t seem to be doing me much good:-(. My microphone does not seem to work since I spoke all of the times but got no response from the site. I would really like to be part of what is going on. What am I supposed to click after saying all of the times. I clicked on correct and nothing happened. I really enjoyed the Advent Calendar last year and would like to take part today. I have had trouble with the site however once speaking – which is great in principle though – became a part of the site.I would really appreciate some help. So sad not to be taking part from my apartment in Berlin…..

Andrei
Andrei

es ist wunderschön!!! Дзякуй!

Cyndeyb1
Cyndeyb1

Super fun quiz – thanks !

Colleen
Colleen

Viel Spaß!

SAD08
SAD08

Ich finde diese Sprechübungen sehr hilfreich, besonders für die Zahlen! Danke

marko
marko

Sehr tolle Übung. Hat mir viel Hetz gemacht. Danke!

I think ‘Gaile’ is pointing out a mystake in your text – you’ve written that 11:20 is ‘elf uhr dreißig’ but it is ‘elf uhr zwanzig’

Mackintosh
Mackintosh

11.20 Uhr. Elf Uhr dreißig? Bist du dir sicher?

Aagaysh
Aagaysh

Thank you everyone and Emanuel for giving me free membership for a year.

Kate Alcorn
Kate Alcorn

Hallo Emanuel.

Der Adventskalendar ist auf jeden Fall eine tolle Idee. Leider ist alles auf Englisch und das hilft das Deutschlernen nicht.

Mit freundichen Grüßen, Kate

Starbuck
Starbuck
Reply to  Kate Alcorn

Das hilft eigentlich sehr viel, finde ich. Bei der Erklärung auf Englisch, kann ich das Thema/Konzept voll verstehen. Nach 18 Monaten, finde ich Duden oder Artikeln die auf Deutsch geschrieben sind noch sehr schwierig und ermüdend zu lesen. Bei yourdailygerman, bleibe ich motiviert mehr zu lesen.

Elsa
Elsa

Hello,
One typo only:
“mic is not so good and go get frustrated” (mic is not so good and you get frustrated)
My mic is broken, so no go on this one, but I can do it later using the iPad :)
Bis morgen!

Pia
Pia

Nice and easy, building our confidence, right?

michele
michele

HaHa. My front teeth are gone, waiting for implants. “vierundFünfig” is so fun to try and pronounce. :}

Mark
Mark

Coole Übung! Mir gefällt insbesondere die Wort für Wort Bewertung des Ergebnisses. Durch eine fehlende Umrandung sieht man welche Wörter nicht korrekt ausgesprochen wurden. Anscheinend tue ich mir schwer bei einigen Nummern.

Mark
Mark

Zum Beispiel bei Nummern, die die Zahl “sechs” enthalten. Der “ch” Laut in der deutsche Sprache ist schwierig für Englisch-Muttersprachler zu meistern. Zu stark ausgesprochen, hört er sich wie ein “k” an. Zu weich, versteht man das ausgesprochen Wort nicht.

Ach, Entschuldigung. Ich habe “tue ich *mir* schwer” gemeint. Also, das sagt man in Österreich für “es fällt mir schwer”. Sagt man das in Deutschland nicht? Es treibt mich manchmal zu Wahnsinn, wie viele Unterschiede zwischen “Bundesdeutsch” und österreichischem es gibt :D!

Mark
Mark

Ja, genu: “sechzig” erfordert Mundakrobatik. Danke für die Hinweise für “sechs”!
Interessanterweise gibt es anscheinend einen Unterschied zwischen “Bundesdeutsch” und Österreich, was “schwertun” angeht. Schau Dir diese Erklärung an: http://mediawiki.ids-mannheim.de/VarGra/index.php/Sich_leichttun,_sich_schwertun. Im Ostösterreich verwendet man laut der Grafik überwiegend den Dativ mit “schwertun”, wobei in Deutschland der Akkusativ bevorzugt ist. Das ist nur eines von etlichen Beispielen, wo sich die Sprachvarianten nicht einigt sind. Ich stolpere fast täglich über solche Unterschiede. Wir Expats in Österreich beschweren uns oft darüber, dass wir eigentlich zwei Sprachen lernen müssen, nämlich Hochdeutsch und noch dazu österreichisches Deutch (crying emoji).

Mark
Mark

Haha, es ist nicht leicht!