Advent Calendar 18 – Prefix To Stand

Prefix to Stand

day 18 of our German learning advent calendar. And after we talked about Qual in theory yesterday, it’s time for some practice of it, because today we’ll once again suck at prefix verbs together.
Well… I mean… you will suck at them. I won’t because I’m a native speaker, so it’s really easy.

Seriously though, we’ll play another round of our traditional quiz on prefix verbs, where you have to match the various prefix versions of one verb with their translation; this time for the base verb stehen… and we’ll actually do three rounds this time :).
As usual, you just drag the translation into the empty field next to the verb.
And don’t forget: the quiz is a bit tricky so don’t beat up yourself if you don’t knock it out of the park. The goal is to have fun and maybe check for some gaps.
If you have any questions about any of the words just let me know in the comments, have a great day and I’ll see you tomorrow.
And now viel Spaß beim Knobeln :)

Leslie r. Crockett
Leslie r. Crockett

Could not get the darn thing to work.

Randall
Randall

It was challenging yet rewarding. I had to look up a few words to avoid totally failing it- LOL. I realize that first “question” or set of verbs were all weak verbs with “stehen” in it and second set of verbs were all strong verbs. Interesting. I bombed both “bestehen + auf” and “bestehen + aus”. I still think of “f” of “auf” as “off” not “on” and the “s” of “aus” as “of” or “in”.

Amerikanerin
Amerikanerin

100% x 3!

WhooHoo! Ich muss gestehen, all meine Arbeit hat dem Verstand geholfen! Mein Deutsch ist heute beim besseren Zustand als vor einigen Monaten. Nicht GUT, aber besser.

Alison
Alison

Ho ho…15/15

Mark
Mark

Großartiges Quiz :)!

Ken
Ken

I sucked 60- where are the answers? Can I do extra credit?

DEmberton
DEmberton

100% yaay. Abstand should be the word of the year, and is Gegenstand a thing you stand against?

Kara
Kara

My brain hurts.

Rohrkrepierer ‐ KOOK & HECKLER
Rohrkrepierer ‐ KOOK & HECKLER

Thema – die Zuneigung

Ich denke Du sollst auch die Redewendung– ‘ “Auf etwas stehen” nebenbei erklären oder ?
Für einen Englischsprecher ist es
ein komischer Ausdruck!!

gabriele machado
gabriele machado

ok, I admit I am a native. However, I understand how complicated this is for you dedicated german students.

Anne Maxwell-Jackson
Anne Maxwell-Jackson

Did much better than I thought I would. Really like this sort of challenge. Thank you.

Pia
Pia

Oh dear. That was “Qual” I got better as the quiz progressed. At least it has motivated me to delve into your website for stehen prefixes.

jmarks
jmarks

Please, please, please, at the end of the quiz, could you show a sentence with each quiz word used correctly in sentences?

You don’t even have to show the right answers in English. We should be able to tell the meanings from the sentence context. Then these words will be easier to remember and use correctly!

jmarks
jmarks

Many thanks for considering this. For learners, context is very important for language learning.
Zum Beispiel, “der Gegenstand dieser Übung ist die Übernahme des Vorstandes.” conveys the meaning of those two nouns better than any Single Word translations.

coleussanctus
coleussanctus
Reply to  jmarks

Just wanted to mention that you can usually find some pretty good example sentences in online dictionaries. Linguee is my favorite because I can usually find at least one example that’s simple and easy to understand, and it also gives you a translation. Here’s the page for aus etw. bestehen.

Pons and Leo are my second and third choices, but sometimes the example sentences are complicated, depending on what word you’re looking up.

Mari
Mari

100%! Woo! After 2020, I don’t think I will ever forget what Abstand means. ;)

Michael
Michael

11 out of 15 (1 mix up in the first set and 1 mix up in the last). Frankly I was very impressed by that as a few of them were completely new to me. Das macht doch Spaß!

Kayla-P
Kayla-P

Fun quiz! Nice brain workout trying to make educated guesses. I got the first five all right; I mixed up two in the second round (entstehen and bestehen auf, I think) and mixed up “der Zustand” and “der Gegenstand”. Ironically, I have drilled those two words multiple times on Memrise and should have gotten them right.

Waldemar
Waldemar

As a native Deutscher (until the age of 4) I found this fairly difficult and interesting. But PLEASE, can your software be clearer on what the correct answers are, not just showing me what I got wrong with the red boxes?

notpeanut
notpeanut
Reply to  Waldemar

I did terrible the first time, and it took several tries to get them all right. It was actually helpful to not get the right answers but just keep trying, because I had to think about why one answer or another made sense. I actually got all of the nouns correct on the first go-round, but I was guessing on most of them, so having the correct answers actually wasn’t as helpful. Thanks for a great exercise!

fairyhedgehog
fairyhedgehog
Reply to  Waldemar

I would like that too!

Jamie
Jamie

I nailed the first set, the other two not so much ;-)

Daphne
Daphne

Emanuel I may never recover from this quiz! I had to rely on my best guesses and they turned out to be useless. Just when I thought I was starting to get the gist ……

Ahmad Mazaheri
Ahmad Mazaheri

Ich habe alles richtig gemacht ! Ich danke dir dafür.
Bis Bald