Advent Calender 2019 – Prefix To Take

“Prefix to Take”

Hallo ihr lieben,

welcome back to your favorite Advent Calender, door 19. And today, it’s time for you to get active again with everyone’s least favorite type of exercise:

Find the Right Prefix

The idea is that I give you a meaning and you have to find the right prefix verb for it. And the special thing is… it’s always the same base verb.
So in theory, this exercise seems to be rather easy, which makes it all the more frustrating if you don’t do as well as you initially thought. So it’s the perfect tool to take a little break from the trials and tribulations of the pre-Christmas season and instead have some trials and tribulations with language learning.
Hurra!!
[tell intern to insert a funny gif here and take out this note]

We’ve done this once in this calendar already with the verb ziehen and today, we’ll do the same for nehmen.
But this one is a premiere anyway, because we’ll try out a new exercise format. And it’s freaking fancy.
[tell intern to insert a funny, fitting gif here and take out this note]

Instead of just doing multiple choice or just thinking the solution like a flippin’ peasant from the 15th century, you get to drag and draw. Like a boss.
Seriously though… I’m not sure if this really is the best approach for this kind of exercise but I wanted to try it. The upside is that it looks nice and all the options are there, which makes it a little easier.
The downside is that each prefix can only appear once, because otherwise the computer would be confused. And maybe it’s a bit style over substance this way.
I’m really curious for your thoughts actually, so just give it a try and let me know.
Do you like this type of exercise? Do you like this format or would you prefer multiple choice? Or actually a translation option?
Let me know all your thoughts in the comments below.
Einen schönen Tag, und bis morgen :).

lisa
lisa

The software worked very well for me but … 2/10? Ak!
So, would be nice to have a “try it again” button for us rank beginners.
Liked the idea though — I now know the two I guessed right!

Simon Puchtler
Simon Puchtler

I really like this exercise (even though I found it hard!).

I think your principle of concentrating on one thing at a time (while the rest remains constant) is a really good approach.

Thanks!

nlvanallen
nlvanallen

Yay – got them all! (Kaum zu glauben.)

nlvanallen
nlvanallen

Can that last post. I see from your earlier comment about pulling the prefix to the square and not the space! (No more excuses – here goes.)

nlvanallen
nlvanallen

Couldn’t get this to work. Tried again. Where can I get the answers?

nlvanallen
nlvanallen

I too can’t get this to work. I can drag the prefixes to the blanks, but they don’t stick. Lest my answers were being recorded notwithstanding the not-sticking problem, I checked my results. Got a 0. I probably would have gotten 1 or 2 right anyway (geez), so my answers probably didn’t take.

Alison Rostetter
Alison Rostetter

funktioniert ganz toll – aber eher etwas für die digitale Generation. Bloss nicht schreiben müssen!! Bildschirm ist besser.

LCantoni
LCantoni

I got only one correct. Can I blame it on a bug? :D I do like the format.

Sindhu
Sindhu

Worked perfectly fine for me! Got the einnehmen and aufnehmen wrong! Frustrating, also because I am supposed to be at C1 level! (at least my certificate says so! :P )

Dr. Casey J. Hayes
Dr. Casey J. Hayes

Would love to be able to see the correct answers!

Jill Groom
Jill Groom

Before I go try the quiz last question – Thomas has TAKEN more responsibility. (Or it could be ‘Thomas is taking more responsibility’ but that would not match the German.)

Alan
Alan

Good format but I did not do well. Only drawback is you cannot see which you got wrong.

Mark
Mark

Worked einwandfrei for me on Chrome browser. Overall like the format! Multiple choice with tricky, haarspaltenden Options are my favorite :).

Marianne
Marianne

I tried doing this on my Android and the drag ‘n drop worked fine UNTIL I needed to scroll down to get to the last two sentences. Couldn’t do that, so my quiz was incomplete. I liked the idea though; preferred it to multiple choice for this kind of exercise.

Btw, love this blog — and your humor! I’m learning a ton. Thanks for all your work on this site! Vielen Dank für die Hilfe deutsch zu lernen.

Franomir
Franomir

Thanks a lot for your efforts mate. German was the first foreign language I learnt before I learnt French. Now I am learning it again.

Amerikanerin
Amerikanerin

After reading all the comments, I just thought I’d add:
Safari
Worked fine when I dragged the prefix to the box to the right of the question,
Clicked on “see answers” and got a list of red/green questions, bright as a xmas tree, showing what I got right/wrong.
Only problem (and it’s the same on Seedlang and other sites with the same type of quiz) is that once I get far enough down on the list, I no longer have access to the prefixes – had to do some fancy footwork to get that last prefix in the box: either I can see the prefixes or the last questions, if you get what I mean.

Otherwise, worked perfectly, ‘cept for the fact that I mixed up two prefixes – I’m mies at prefixes.

Don’t understand why ZUMACHEN is closing, as in the door, but ZUNEHMEN is to GAIN weight – like, it seems that it would be loosing, like in ZUMACHEN being closed. Whatever.

Amerikanerin
Amerikanerin

5 outta 7. Mixed up über/ein

The problem with drag and drop is that once I get far enough down the question list, I no longer have access to the boxes that need to be dragged and dropped because my screen isn’t big enough (laptop).

fairyhedgehog
fairyhedgehog

I love the format but once I’ve checked my answers, although I can see which ones I got right or wrong, I can’t see what my answer was or what the right answer should be.

Is there some way to post an image so I can show you what I’m seeing?

great exercise, many thanks! :)

pmccann
pmccann

Woo hoo, full marks for me, and I wasn’t even guessing. Unheimlich! Those prefixes aren’t too tough to guess here: the outlier was probably aufnehmen, which is everyone’s unfavourite word in terms of the breadth of its meaning. But having been listening to the Easy German podcast a little bit recently, “aufgenommen” as “recorded” has came up a few times, so I got past that.

zu=”to/away” (so “zunehmen” as losing weight isn’t too much of a stretch), unter=”under” (so “undertake”, as per English), vornehmen I just guessed/remembered by a shonky analogy with vorsprechen, ab is always “off” or “away from” so no problem with “taking off”, and einnehmen was the last prefix standing!

(The quiz software worked perfectly for me in Chrome, once I realised that you had to drag the prefixes into the boxes, not onto the gaps in the sentences.)

pmccann
pmccann

Good question: looking back through the list of suggested translations it’s pretty clear that they all revolve around the central idea of “taking on/absorption/inscription/incorporation”. It’s probably just the size of the list that’s a bit daunting. (I’m guessing that the suggested translation of aufnehmen as “shooting” must be the sort of activity that is performed with a camera, and not with a gun?)

pmccann
pmccann
Reply to  pmccann

Yikes, I just realised my take on “zunehmen” is actually the opposite to reality: *add (weight) to*, as distinct from *go/take to*. Cool, that makes it 100% memorable now!