The core idea of the root was:
And very early on it was used in the context of leaving markings or making drawings and eventually, writing things.
In the Latin branch, we have the verb *scribere, which meant to write, which is the origin for words like script, prescribe, subscribe, describe and more.
Here’s a (incomplete) list:
- script, scripture
- manuscript (“to write by hand”)
- subscribe (“to write under”)
- prescribe (“to write across”)
- inscribe (“to write in”)
- describe (“to write down”)
- ascribe (“write toward”)
- transcribe (“to write over”)
- serif, sans-serif (“little stroke, draw”)