Kunde means customer. But also knowledge. And kündigen mean to fire someone. Today, we’ll find out what connects all those and learn some more cool words.
der Kunde, sich erkundigen,kündigen, ankündigen, die Kündigung, die Urkunde
A quick look at the various uses of "der Stamm" in German and the mysteries meanings of "Stammtisch" and "Stammbar".
der Stamm, der Stammtisch, der Stammbaum, der Baumstamm, der Stammkunde, stammen, stemmen
The core idea of this root was
It’s the origin of can and to know and a big branch of Latin and Greek words that are all about knowledge in some way.
Here’s a little (incomplete) overview:
- can, could (“knowledge, skill”)
- to know, knowledge, acknowledge (“to know”)
- cognition (“get to know”)
- agnostic (“not knowing”)
- ignore, ignorant (“not knowing”)
- incognito (“unknown”)
- connoisseur (“the knower”)
- diagnose (“know about someone else”)
- recognize (“know again”)
- physiognomy (“knowledge of the physique”)
- notice, notify
- noble (“the known ones”)