Kunde means customer. But also knowledge. And kündigen mean to fire someone. Today, we’ll find out what connects all those and learn some more cool words.
der Kunde, sich erkundigen,kündigen, ankündigen, die Kündigung, die Urkunde
der Urlaub, der Urknall, der Urmensch, erlauben, erfinden, erhalten...
The core idea of this root was
It’s the origin of can and to know and a big branch of Latin and Greek words that are all about knowledge in some way.
Here’s a little (incomplete) overview:
- can, could (“knowledge, skill”)
- to know, knowledge, acknowledge (“to know”)
- cognition (“get to know”)
- agnostic (“not knowing”)
- ignore, ignorant (“not knowing”)
- incognito (“unknown”)
- connoisseur (“the knower”)
- diagnose (“know about someone else”)
- recognize (“know again”)
- physiognomy (“knowledge of the physique”)
- notice, notify
- noble (“the known ones”)