Examples tap to show/hide
Read more tap to show/hide
Zeug means stuff. And Spielzeug literally means playstuff. But there's much more. Zeuge is witness and überzeugen is to convince. Today, we'll find out why.
das Zeug, der Zeuge, das Zeugnis, erzeugen, das Flugzeug, das Feuerzeug, das Spielzeug, überzeugen
Word Family tap to show/hide
The core idea of this root was:
So already back then, the double theme that we have in ziehen today was present. Pulling and guiding share the idea of “giving a way from in front”.
A good leader “pulls” their followers along.
The idea of pulling can be found in English members of this family like tow, tug, tie and also team.
The far bigger group though are the words that are based on the Latin verb *ducere. This was the Latin verb for to lead and it’s the core of dozens of words like produce, conduct, educate, seduce or duke.
Here’s an incomplete list of English family members:
- to tow (pulling)
- to tug (pulling)
- to tie (pulling)
- team (originally, a line of descent, family lineage)
- induce (“lead in”)
- introduce, introduction (“lead into”)
- produce, product (“lead forth”)
- seduce, seduction,… (“lead/pull aside”)
- abduct, abduction,… (“lead/pull away”)
- reduce, reduction, … (“to pull back”)
- decude, deduction, … (“to pull from”)
- educate, education, … (“to pull out, to bring out”)
- conduct, conduit, … (“to lead, to bring together”)
- the Duke (“the leader”, based on Italian title “Duce”)
- aqueduct (“leading water”)