A thorough look at the meaning of "teilen", how that shows in the different prefix versions and why an SMS is also called "Kurzmitteilung" in German.
teilen, verteilen, aufteilen, einteilen, austeilen, mitteilen, die Mitteilung, zum Teil
The core idea of this root was:
It has evolved in various quite different directions, but the theme of dividing is present in most of the offspring.
Here’s a little (incomplete) overview :
- time (“dividing time”)
- tide (“time of water”)
- tidy (originally: “in a timely manner”)
- deal (“divide, distribute”)
- demon (“dealer of destiny” used to be neutral in Greek and Latin)
- democracy (demos originally referred to a “district” of a region or settlement)
- demagogue (“district leader”)
- epidemic (“on a district”)
- pandemic (“across districts”)