The German word "Teil" has two genders. Today, we'll find out why and what they mean and we'll go over the most useful compound nouns with Teil.
das Teil, der Teil, der Großteil, das Gegenteil, der Vorteil, vorteilhaft, der Nachteil
The core idea of this root was:
It has evolved in various quite different directions, but the theme of dividing is present in most of the offspring.
Here’s a little (incomplete) overview :
- time (“dividing time”)
- tide (“time of water”)
- tidy (originally: “in a timely manner”)
- deal (“divide, distribute”)
- demon (“dealer of destiny” used to be neutral in Greek and Latin)
- democracy (demos originally referred to a “district” of a region or settlement)
- demagogue (“district leader”)
- epidemic (“on a district”)
- pandemic (“across districts”)