Advent Calendar 1 – “Let the games be gin”

“Let the games be gin”

Wow, that title made no sense :).
Anyway, welcome everyone, it’s the first of December, and that means it’s time for our yearly

German Advent Calendar

Also know as GAC.
Hooray!
And if you’re now wondering what that is …well, it’s basically like a regular Advent Calendar except that instead of opening doors or stockings, you open an email and instead of sweets and candy you get a cool little bite of German language and culture. Like…

grammar, work outs,cool language games,
little colloquial gems, jokes, poems
useful tips and tools and give-aways

It’s all in there :).

I already did it last year, and you guys really liked it. And although it’s not completely finished yet, I think the one of this year is even better, funner and educationaler so stay tuned!!

Now, just to make sure… obviously, I will send out one email every day (I made it green because it’s a good thing).  I hope you don’t mind hearing from me more often than usual. If you do… well, you can just unsubscribe for Advent Season (I made it red because it’s a bad thing). But I hope you won’t :)

Oh and one more thing: the entire calendar will be free, so can read it every day, even if you’re not a member. Because… Advent spirit, yo.

So yeah, now you know what’s gonna happen the next 24 days and I’m actually super excited for this!!!
If you missed last years calendar and you’re curious what to expect, here’s the link to the first day:

German Advent Calendar 2016 – Day 1

Otherwise, I’ll see you guys tomorrow because it’s every day bro.
(bonus points if you get the reference ;)

wesspan
wesspan

So happy to read that you are doing the advent calendar again (and also making it free) – thank you! I’m looking forward to learning about German culture as well as the language.

just me
just me

Yea! It’s free! …because my German isn’t really good enough yet to truly benefit from a full subscription. I just read and listen to what I can and sometimes have a light-bulb “Oh! That’s want he was talking about” moment. Anyway, Dankeschön.

Expat
Expat

Yay, looking forward to a German advent calendar in my expat world :-) I just read last year’s post you linked to, Emanuel, and thought I’d share my favourite winter poem from my childhood here. I actually only found out as an adult that this was an originally English poem by the wonderful Shel Silverstein, and I just noticed for the first time now — seeing both versions next to each other — and find it interesting how they changed the rhythm/emphases in German, not only the vocabulary for better rhyming ;-)

Der Schneeball
Ich hab mir einen Schneeball gemacht,
den schönsten Schneeball von der Welt.
Den geb ich nie wieder her, hab ich gedacht,
weil er mir so gut gefällt.
Ich tat ihn an meines Bettes Rand
und wir schliefen die ganze Nacht,
am Morgen war er dann durchgebrannt
und hatte ins Bett gemacht.

English original:
Snowball
I made myself a snowball
As perfect as could be.
I thought I’d keep it as a pet
And let it sleep with me.
I made it some pajamas
And a pillow for its head.
Then last night it ran away,
But first it wet the bed.

Happy Christmas / Holiday season everyone :-)

Hehe, you’re welcome. Shel Silverstein wrote a lot of these small poems, sayings but also plays and songs. Here’s a selection of quotes: https://www.azquotes.com/author/13588-Shel_Silverstein

YeeeHaaa :)

alextruesdale
alextruesdale

Ich genieße jetzt ‘nen Gin Tonic, während diesen Artikel lesen :| Alkoholismus oder Weihnachtsstimmung??

alextruesdale
alextruesdale

Auch dich! Ich kam hier gut an, danke.. aber nur für eine kurze Zeit. Ich fliege im Januar wieder nach Berlin (woo!).

Shannon Skilton
Shannon Skilton

Jetzt beginnt die Weihnachtszeit!!!!!!!