German Advent Calendar 12 – Half Time Show

Yourdailygerman Ad-vent Calendar

Half Time Show (feat. Drake)

♥♥♥ x ♥♥♥+♥♥♥

today is the 12th of December, so we’ve reached half time of the Advent Calendar.
And what would a half time be without a really proper

Half time Show

And I’m really really really happy to have a very special someone here tonight, a good looking, talented, overly dramatic and incredibly humble Scorpio, just like myself… ladies and gentlemen, give it up for the one and only… Drake!!!!

Uh…. Drake… hello… yo, you’re up now, Drake, where are you….

hmm… I guess a certain someone doesn’t need that giant paycheck. No problem, Drake, more craft beer money for me.
And no problem for the half time show either.
Because instead, I’ll use the time and just give you guys and gals and men and women and everyone in between or in flux a couple of cool little recommendations that might be helpful for your German.

And the first one is

Youglish

Youglish was suggested by one of you in the comments recently and it’s basically a Youtube subtitle search machine.

Basically, you can enter a word or phrase and Youglish pulls timestamped Youtube videos where this phrase (or a really similar one) is said, so you can hear how it sounds when real native speakers say it.  And you also get a transcript to read along.
Of course you have like zero context about the conversation, and the transcript sometimes deviates from what is actually being said.
So this is really only a tool if you’re unsure about the pronunciation of something. But still it’s a nice idea and might be helpful in some situations.
Here’s the link to their site (with the phrase “Ich habe gute Laune”).

Youglish.com

The only thing I am not sure about is how it is with Youtube ads. I do have Youtube premium, which I highly recommend, by the way, if you use Youtube regularly. So yeah, I don’t get any ads on anything, and I am not sure if Youglish would show ads before showing the video. In that case, it’d be pretty useless without premium, so if you try it out, please let me know.

Cool!
So now to the second recommendation and that one is pretty much only about fun :)

English pop hits with German lyrics

This is something I sometimes do with friends just for fun. We take a pop song and sing it with the German translation and it is usually hilariously bad – the singing as well as the lyrics.
But there’s a guy on Youtube who at least can pull off the singing part pretty well. His channel name is thisisvoyce and the concept is basically that – he takes hits and sings them with German lyrics.
So if you’re a pop fan and you know these songs, this might be a good way to remember some vocab and some phrasings.
Here’s his channel:

“thisisvoyce” on Youtube

And here’s one of his takes on of the most boring singers I know –  Ed Sheeran with the song “Thinking it loud.”

And that’s it for today :).
Let me know what you think of these … uh…. “tools” and if you have other similar recommendations.
Have a super mega awesome day, and I’ll see ya’ll tomorrow. *texasintensifies

Pia
Pia

Thank you for these two links they are amazing.

Matt
Matt

Das ist echt cool und sehr hilfreich. Vielen Dank Emanuel!

Junie Curtiss
Junie Curtiss

Youglish is simply unbelievable! Thanks for the tip. What a rabbit hole….

syperk
syperk

Voyce has a good voice, but if I’m not mistaken, the lyrics are COMPLETELY changed from the original, which makes it less useful for German learning for me. I listened to “Hallelujah”, which has a classic first verse “I heard there was a secret chord…”, and was trying to understand how the German words matched up, and eventually concluded they didn’t… https://youtu.be/rOpeW6DObQI

Starbuck
Starbuck
Reply to  syperk

It’s almost impossible to fit the rhyme pattern and meter and flow of the song if it’s a direct translation so I’m not super surprised it doesn’t match up.

The biggest problem i had was actually hearing what’s being sung. For some reason singing seems to be way harder to understand than normal talking for me.

Pia
Pia
Reply to  syperk

I can relate. This version seems to have little to do with The Bible or God except for the title :)

Ahmad Mazaheri
Ahmad Mazaheri

Ich kannte Youglish nicht . Ich finde es sehr interessant für die Fortschritte deutschlerner, weil der Redner sehr schnell spricht . Ich habe den Video dreimal langsamer gesehen ( 0.75, mit Knüpfe unten am rechts ) . Ich fand die Verschmolzene Wörter schwer zu verstehen. Zumbeispiel:” aber wenn’s nen geil Ministern in Aussicht gibt ” .
Zudem die englische Wörtern wie Comeback, Glamour , Feedback mit einen kurste “a”
Laut ausgesprochen wird .
Bis Morgen .

Pierre-Jean
Pierre-Jean

Hello envery one
Thanks for this newsletter and all thé great informations and tips…

Enjoy your we
Pierre-Jean

Elsa
Elsa

Hello!
Typoish:
“really only a tool of you’re unsure” (really only a tool if you’re unsure)
“take a pop song and the sing it” (take a pop song and the sing it – surplus the)
“pull of the singing part” (pull off the singing part)

The Ed Sheeran song was hilarious!
Another thing I find useful is to watch actual German songs with lyrics, there are videos with lyrics and also songs on spotify with lyrics.

Bis morgen!

coleussanctus
coleussanctus

I’ve never had ads on Youglish btw. Not in the videos anyway. Only in the sidebar, and that’s less obtrusive on mobile (or if you have ad block). Just be prepared for Swiss German videos to pop up without warning.

coleussanctus
coleussanctus

The Ed Sheeran one was fun. He’s got the right voice for it and it’s sweet that his wedding photo is in the background.

It’s funny though, I tried listening to a couple songs I love (Nothing Else Matters, In the End) and all the feelings and memories I normally have were just gone. Like listening to a brand new song. That’s never happened to me with books or movies. Maybe the brain just has a special connection to music.

MIKE C
MIKE C

You Tube videos not helpful for a beginner, or if you are not into pop music.
I love Schlager myself being much older than you. I had nachos and cheese during the halftime show

Elsa
Elsa
Reply to  MIKE C

Some younger people also like Schlager ;)
And there are even Schlager bands formed by really young singers (e.g. Feuerherz), some of their songs appear on spotify with lyrics :)

MIKE C
MIKE C
Reply to  Elsa

Ja wirklich, dass ist wahr

Elsa
Elsa

You mean Kerstin Ott?

Elsa
Elsa

I know her :)

Elsa
Elsa

No, not from the 20’s. The farthest back I know are Marianne Rosenberg and Roland Kaiser ;)
My favourites are Feuerherz, but I also like Bernhard Brink and Helene Fischer (amongst many others) :)

MIKE C
MIKE C
Reply to  Elsa

Thumbs up to Feuerherz!

MIKE C
MIKE C

So viele, aber Helene Fisher ist der Megastar. 2015 haben wir Andrea Berg bei Waldbühne in Berlin gesehen. Mag Hertel, Egli, Jung, Albrecht, Brink, Rossi, Die Flippers, usv