Yourdailygerman Advent Calendar #epic
“T-Tig – Street Edition“
and welcome back to your epic Advent Calendar, door number 5.
And if you’ve been following the calendar closely, you might already know by the title what is behind today’s door and its cryptic name – it’s a speaking exercise for
Telling the Time in German
A few days ago, we did one for the “formal” version of time (I call it News Speak).
And today, we’ll do one for Street Speak, which is what people actually use in everyday life.
This one is actually going to be a tiny bit longer than the one for News Speak simply because Street Speak is a little bit trickier and there’s actually a bit to remember.
Here are the most important points.
- It uses 12 hour system, with am/pm being fully left to context.
- The full hour is “um X”.
- The half hour is “halb X”, with X being what is COMING.
- The rest of the times are expressed in reference to the full hour or the half hour, depending what’s closer.
- The 15 minutes mark and the 45 minute mark are called “viertel”.
Yeah… it’s actually really confusing in this condensed form, so if you now feel like “Hmmm, I low-key think I should review that again.” then you can find all you need in my article here… just look for the section on Street Speak:
As for the quiz itself, I’ll show you a time in number format and you have to say it as a full sentence:
“Es ist blah blah blah.”
Press record to start the recording, and press again to stop.
The button should change color. If not, it’s likely that the browser blocks my site from accessing the mic.
The AI will automatically compare your version with how it should sound correctly and calculate a percent match. If that is above the threshold, you’ll see a word by word breakdown of how you did. If not, you can try again.
The threshold is set to “60% match” but you can adjust that freely during the exercise. So you can make it super lenient or super hard or just play around with it.
If you want to hear me say it, just click hint. There will be a play button with me saying it.
And don’t forget… the goal is NOT to get 100% in pronunciation, the goal is that you practice saying the time.
So, I think we’re all set, so viel Spaß :)!
0 of 11 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
Time has elapsed
1. QuestionWhat time is it? (full sentence, street speak)7:00Es ist um 7.CorrectIncorrect
Es ist ___ ____.
2. QuestionWhat time is it? (full phrase, street speak)18:00Es ist um 6.CorrectIncorrect
Es ist____ ____.
3. QuestionWhat time is it? (Full sentence, street speak)10:30Es ist halb 11.CorrectIncorrect
Es ist halb ____ .
4. QuestionWhat time is it? (full sentence, with street speak.)22:30Es ist halb 11.CorrectIncorrect
Es ist ____ Elf.
5. QuestionWhat’s the time? (full sentence, street speak)23:30Es ist halb 12.CorrectIncorrect
Es ist ____ 12.
6. QuestionWhat time is it in street speak using “nach” (full sentence, street speak)9:15Es ist viertel nach 9.CorrectIncorrect
Es ist _____ nach ______.
7. QuestionWhat time is it in street speak using “vor”?8:45 pmEs ist viertel vor 9.CorrectIncorrect
Es ist viertel ____ ____ .
8. QuestionWhat time is it in street speak (using “nach”)11:20Es ist 20 nach 11.CorrectIncorrect
Es ist ____ nach ____ .
9. QuestionWhat time is it in street speak?17:35Es ist 5 nach halb 6.CorrectIncorrect
Es ist ____ nach _____ _____ .
10. QuestionWhat time is it in street speak?18:50Es ist 10 vor 7.CorrectIncorrect
Es ist 10 ___ _____ .
11. QuestionWhat time is it in street speak?21:25Es ist 5 vor halb 10.CorrectIncorrect
Es ist 5 ____ halb ____ .
And, how was it?
It wasn’t as easy as News Speak, right?
Let me know how you did and what (if anything) you find confusing. I’ll try my best to clear it up in the comments then.
I hope you enjoyed this, have a great day and bis morgeeeeeeeeeen :)