German Prefix Verbs – Book Sneak Peek

Hey everyone,

and welcome to the first little surprise of our little

EMayl-Special

Man, that looks sooo weird. Like one of those new startup apps, where they had to use weird letters for the name because the real ones were already taken…. like Lyft. Or Shyftplan. Or Amazon.
Anymay, if you’ve been following me for a while, you might know that I am working on two projects about prefix verbs. A book about non separable prefixes and an app for separable ones.
Well… this year, I added a third one.
And that one is actually making real progress.
I mean… not like the other ones are not making progress. They’re making tremendous progress.
But yeah, this one might actually be the first to finish, because it’s not just me… it’s a collaboration with a friend.

And it is… drum roll…

An illustrated book some of the most common German separable prefix verbs

Yeah… that’s totally not gonna be the title :).
Helen, a friend of mine, who used to be a student a long time ago, is a really great and talented illustrator. I had the idea of a book with illustrations for various meanings of prefix verbs for a while, but I didn’t have someone to do the drawings.
Last year, she started doing cartoons about her journey to learning German and the language itself, and I really like the style. And so we decided to work together :).
I do the German and she does the cartoons that’ll help make it stick in your mind.
And today, I’m really really happy to give you a little preview of two of them…. one for one of the meanings of aufgehen and one for one of the meanings of eingehen.
Tadah….

Aren’t these super cool? She even made her own custom font for this!!
I’m really really excited about this project and I think it’ll be a really nice book in the end. You’ll get to learn something, but it’ll also be fun just to look through it while you’re on the porcelain throne.

If you want to see more of her work about German, I really recommend that you follow her on Instagram. Well, not recommend… more like ordering.
DO IT! FOLLOW HER!
And make sure to look through the older posts, they’re really amazing!!

Helen on Instagram!

So yeah… that’s my little surprise for today :).
And of course I’m super mega ultra curious for your thoughts and how you like the drawings.
So jump right onto the comments and let me/us know.
Have a great day or night or whatever and see you very soon with the next little surprise.

Maya
Maya

When this book will be out ? 2020 or 2021 ? No patience … love

Berke
Berke

ich denke dass das book sehr nützlich wird

Janet
Janet

An eBook as well as physical would be great, so you could search to go directly to the offending verb. I love this. I’m often to be found in my study screaming out loud at the world in generally “not another bloody trennbar verb”! If this book could lower the decibel level that’d be great.

Cathy
Cathy

This book will be so helpful for me. Please finish it soon!! Thank you :)

Nir
Nir

HI, I WOULD LIKE TO THANK THOSE MEMBERS THAT HAVE PAYED A LITTLE EXTRA AND MADE IT POSSIBLE FOR ME AND OTHERS WHO CAN’T PAY, TO LEARN GERMAN IN THIS GREAT WEBSITE AND THANK YOU EMANUEL AS WELL!

Francesca M
Francesca M

Fantastic idea Emanuel, and very cute and effective pictures from Helen! Ich freue mich darauf, das Buch zu kaufen. Wenn ich du wäre, würde ich ein E-Book herstellen. Es ist billiger für den Verbraucher, besser für die Umwelt und, meiner Meinung nach, such etas einfacher für dich die Idee in Realität zu wandeln. Aber ich würde es in beiden Fällen kaufen. Viel Gluck für dein Projekt

Jassey
Jassey

Thumbs up from me. Love it!!

Priscill
Priscill

Thank you so so much for people who are helping me to learn German in this website! I am so honored to have your support. Thank you Thank you!

kentigerncampbell
kentigerncampbell

This is

exactly

what I was wishing someone would do. I’ve been struggling with the -machen, -geben, -zeugen verbs, the auf-, aus-, ab- prefixes. Well, really, all of them. yours, a New Member.

Joe King
Joe King

I’d buy it also, as repayment for all these great free articles you’ve been creating.

Adam
Adam

Very helpful and memorable , great idea

Marissa
Marissa

Sooooo cool!! Can’t wait to buy it. Also, I laughed at, “while you’re on the porcelain throne.” I am more and more impressed with your command of English with every post you write. Maybe you could do a post sometime about how you mastered the language so well? Great work on all fronts.

David-Adam
David-Adam

Both the electronic version and print version?

love it

graz
graz

I find the drawings and descriptions cool and easy to learn. This project seems to fit for visual learners like me. Very helpful in studying the multiple meanings of separable prefix verbs.
Schöne und wirksame Zusammenarbeit!

I want more of these! Brilliantly illuminating.

Wiley Hollingsworth
Wiley Hollingsworth

The Common Pitfall for eingehen contradicts itself. “Don’t take eingehen as a general translation for to shrink…” versus “Actually, it’s only used for clothes (to shrink)…”

Liam Allan-Dalgleish
Liam Allan-Dalgleish

Ich Werde Nicht so blöd sein, um zu sagen, daß aufgehen nicht eine Übersetzung für to open ist. Zwar bin ich kein eingeborener Deutscher, aber entweder auf Deutsch oder ohne Zweifel auf Englisch klingen meinen Ohren nach mehr „mundartlich“ die zwei folgenden Sätze:
Das Fenster geht auf, dem Winde wegen.
The wind is swinging the window open.

coleussanctus
coleussanctus

Really cool idea, can’t wait to read it :) I like the font, too, it feels friendly and the watercolor effect is a nice touch. I only lurk on Instagram, so maybe Helen can get the message here :)

Marge
Marge

Can’t wait to get it!

samsader
samsader

Sign me up for a copy! ☺️ I like that you can visualize the meaning of the verb. The drawings are cute and inventive. I also like that you added „common pitfalls“. That is very helpful. I have gotten some Bavarian and Austrian penpals and writing them has been fun, and they tell me my mistakes. Most recently, I said Don’t hit a moose with your car but I used the word „schlagen“ and apparently there is a nice little german verb that means „to impact with one’s vehicle“ lol oh well… live and learn!