Advent Calendar 2019 – Pictionary

“Pictionary”

Hi ihr lieben,

day 14 of our Advent Calender and today we’ll once again honor the fact that it’s actually Resourcember, because I have a REALLY cool resource for you.

a dictionary

Or to be more precise

a super huge, German-English bilingual visual dictionary

A visual dictionary  (which in my opinion really should be called pictionary, is a book that depicts the words in it rather than giving the translations.
Those usually have a strong focus on “tangible” nouns. I mean, a concept like Erfahrung or a words like doch are kind of hard to depict.
But for visual learners at least they’re a nice little resource.
And the one I have for you today is kind of special.
First of all, it’s really huge. There are about 6.000 words and phrases in it. There are lots of words in it that I don’t know in English. Like instep for instance. And believe it or not, there are actually words that I don’t even know in German. No matter the area of life, this over 300 page book probably has a section on it. Here’s a screenshot with part of the section about ways to prepare food…

Now, as you can see in this screenshot… the book gives you the German AND the English word for things, which is great, but what’s REALLY cool is that it has an index in BOTH languages. So you can search for words BOTH ways.
Also, it has a section for these small, hard to depict words like doch and adjective antonym pairs and the layout is amazing.
And if you’re now like “Man, that’s probably kind of expensive.” then don’t worry, because the best thing about the whole thing is…

It’s free!

Yes, you read that right :).
You can view it online in a really cool viewer, or you can download it as a pdf, ePub or kindle (and some other versions).
Pretty amazing.
I’m not a big fan of visual dictionaries usually, because I find them to waste a beginners time with useless nouns. But the fact that this one is so comprehensive actually makes it a really useful resource, no matter where you’re at in your German learning.
I found it by accident, more or less, and I was really really happy.

So, what else to do than give you the link :). Bookmark it, download it to whatever device and flip through next time you’re on the toilet. I mean … couch.
Viel Spaß

Epic German-English Visual Dictionary

(I viewed it in Opera browser and it’s a super smooth experience. Some browsers are a bit fickle (I’m looking at you, Firefox),
so if it doesn’t work, just try switching browsers.Oh and just in case you’re wondering… I think it is officially free. It comes from archive.org,

which is some open library project, I think. So you’re not downloading from some shady torrent website.)

Let me know what you think about it and about visual dictionaries in general in the comments.
Have a great day and bis morgen :)!!

Pia
Pia

Vielen Dank für diese Linken.
Did anyone else chuckle at the Die Fortpflanzungsorgane on page 20-21?
Prost

Scott
Scott

Wow, wow, wow (auf deutsch) !!! Super fantastisch !!

Trevor
Trevor

For those who want a updated and/or physical copy, the link to the dictionary on the publisher’s web site is: https://www.dk.com/us/book/9781465459299-german-english-bilingual-visual-dictionary/

Or you can get the 5-language version, which has English, French, German, Spanish and Italian at https://www.dk.com/us/book/9781465447562-5-language-visual-dictionary/

The link from Archive.org posted in this article appears to be from a prior version. On the page describing office words, the free version has a fax machine, while the new version from the publisher has a shredder (plus an LCD monitor instead of a CRT monitor for the computer). Otherwise, they seem to be pretty equivalent.

Schoen, danke

Alison Rostetter
Alison Rostetter

looks fantastic but I didn’t fine the link? Can you help, please? OK, all found. Great, really like it. I even made a small donation (!) thanks for sharing.

Alan
Alan

I decided to buy a preowned copy for £3.29 including delivery because I know I will lose the link. I will keep it in the car when driving in Germany. Thanks for the tip.

LCantoni
LCantoni

OK, so now my new favorite German word is Fortpflanzungsorgane. :D Das Bildwörterbuch ist super!

Alan
Alan

Very good but no mythical beasts!

pmccann
pmccann

Cool resource; I have to admit that I followed the link, played around for a while, and then had “ein Deja-Vu-Erlebnis”. A deep, dark search of some dusty piles of books later, the pristine physical object was once again in my hands: I must have bought it about three years ago in a fit of post-my-first-visit-to-Germany enthusiasm, and promptly forgotten about it when I began to learn German in e(a)rn(e)st.

(Naja… immer noch viel besser als die Fälle, in denen ich das gleiche Buch zweimal versehentlich gekauft haben.)

pmccann
pmccann
Reply to  pmccann

habe, habe, habe, damn it… That rogue “n” seems to graft itself onto the verb via some anti-magical process as the distance from the governing pronoun reaches some critical point. Me hates that… Aah well, Liver and lerne, as they don’t say in the classics.

pmccann
pmccann

That might just have been the festering remnants of an embryonic joke involving (the dreaded) Leberkäse und Leben und so weiter. Sometimes it’s best just to pull the plug ;-)

Well, that’s my excuse, anyway…

pmccann
pmccann

Leider, und mehr als einmal. Ein eindeutig Zeichen, als ob ich ein anderes Zeichen brauche, dass ich zu viele Bücher besitze. Glücklicherweise sind es gebrauchte Bücher, so dass meine Brieftasche nicht zu sehr beschädigt wird. (I once actually bought the same book –nicht nur das gleiche Buch, sondern dasselbe Buch– twice, having given it to a charity shop a year or so before finding it on their shelves and thinking I’d somehow lost my own copy. Naja, alles für einen guten Zweck!)

pmccann
pmccann

Du hast Recht, es klingt wie eine hässliche romantische Komödie mit mir, mir und den Worten von Soren Kierkegaard anstelle von Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan und dem Oeuvre von Dan Brown. (Beide sind sowas von tragisch!) Sowieso…

Suz
Suz

Wow – this is fabulous!!! It’s available in book form on Amazon for $12.90 and comes with an audio app. I’ve added it to my wish list for Santa.

Jinnie
Jinnie

I have this in book form – had it 10years. It’s brilliant. The publisher Dorling Kndersley, now DK, has produced wonderful illustrated books on all sorts of subjects.

Jinnie
Jinnie

It’s not that big, just13.5 x 16.5 x 2.5 cm : quite compact butheavy as the paper is good quality. For any french speakers out there, there is something similar in French/ german: Dictionnaire français/allemand – Le visuel by Jean-Claude Corbeil, Ariane Archambault. I think it’s out of print, but I found a 2nd hand copy for my daughterin who is studying translation here in Paris

Ufuk
Ufuk

Sieht echt super aus! Danke!

Lamb
Lamb

Sorry missed something here. Where is the link ?

Turtles
Turtles

This sounds like a good opportunity to announce a massive troll crossword puzzle for one of the following days saying “we learned the answers in this year’s calender, but we learned over 6000 word so good luck”.

Seriously though, Visual dictionaries are the best.

Elsa
Elsa

OMG, this is such a useful resource for me!
I’m so much of a visual learner that I once did a test (if was something we were asked to do for work) where we first had to listen to a person reading a list of 12 objects and them write them down and then look at a photo of another 12 objects for 30 seconds or so and then write them down. On the listening test, I got about one third right (if that); on the visual test not only I got them ALL right, I actually wrote them as they appeared on the photo, i.e. left to right and top to bottom. So you can only imagine how useful this resource will be for me and other learners with a photographic memory!

In fact, you can call this your huge Xmas present to us :))))

Vielen lieben Dank and bis morgen!