Practice German Cases – Neuter

at least if you live in the northern hemisphere, you might look out the window into the gray November weather and reminisce about summer. The long days, the balmy warmth, the beers, the flirts and of course the German is Easy Summer Bootcamp and its brain wreckingly hard exercises. Those were the days, right.

Well, I have good news because today, we’ll kind of do a German Summer Camp reunion. Hooray!!
If you were there, you’ll remember that we tried out a new type of exercise for practicing cases. One where we focused on one gender at a time to take that stuff out of the equation.
In summer, we did one for feminine and for masculine. Today, we’ll do an exercise for

Cases for Neuter

Here’s a quick overview of how it works…

The basic idea is that worrying about gender takes away a lot of focus and fun from exercises about cases. So all the nouns and pronouns in question today will be neuter. You don’t have to think about that anymore, and so you can focus on the case words themselves and get a better feel for them.
There are two options for you:

The first one is translation. The sentences are in English and you can just translate them to German. The words that are relevant for this exercise are marked in bold, so those are the ones that are gonna be neuter, but of course, if you translate you’ll deal with other genders, as well. You can type your solution into the textfield if you want to compare it, but it’s not auto checking what you enter.
Keep in mind that just because your translation is different to mine, that doesn’t mean it’s wrong. If you’re unsure, just ask in the comments. What should be the focus here is that you get the case words right that are in bold.

Now, translating things is quite hard, actually, and it’s more than just practicing cases. So if you want to focus on that, you can show the German version with gaps by clicking the little “?” sign. Then, you just have to find the right word. Note that sometimes you’ll have to combine a preposition with an article. So “in dem” may become “im“.

Which brings me to an important point. Case exercises often focus on one aspect of the language.. like definite articles, or possessive pronouns or personal pronouns or cases and prepositions.
We will combine all of those, so on paper, you need quite a bit of theory. But I think in practice it’s actually not that bad and it might even be helpful to see an entity “move” through different states in a sentence. The sentences are all pretty common things (the phrasing at least) and I think it’s a good way to build some sprachgefühl.

So yeah… if you want to know what level, I’d say it’s B1, but feel free to try it even as an A2 student.
What else… ah yeah, to see the solutions, just click the little circle and they’ll show up. And you can also listen to it in the audio.
Oh and one last thing… don’t expect yourself to get everything right. I put some tricky ones in there and the idea is that you learn something new also.
Cool, I think you know all you need to know… so… let’s go.
Viel Spaß :)!!

The Exercise

***

The house is old.
____ Haus ist alt.
Das Haus ist alt.

The unicorn that lives in the old house is also old.
____ Einhorn, ____ in ____ alten Haus wohnt, ist auch alt.
Das Einhorn, das in dem alten Haus wohnt, ist auch alt.

Thomas is sitting in the café and drinks a beer.
Thomas sitzt (in) _____ Café und trinkt ____ Bier.
Thomas sitzt im Café und trinkt ein Bier.

Thomas goes to the gym once per week.
Thomas geht einmal pro Woche (in) _____ Fitnessstudio.
Thomas geht einmal pro Woche ins Fitnessstudio.

“I don’t have (any) money, but that’s not a problem.”
“On the contrary, it is a big problem. The beer isn’t for free.”
“Ich habe ____ Geld, aber das ist ____ Problem.”
“Doch, das ist ____ großes Problem. ____ Bier ist nicht umsonst.”
“Ich habe kein Geld, aber das ist kein Problem.”
“Doch, das ist ein großes Problem. Das Bier ist nicht umsonst.”

“How was your date with Maria?”
“Don’t ask. That was a disaster.”
“Wie war ____ Date mit Maria?”
“Frag nicht. Das war ____ Desaster.”
“Wie war dein Date mit Maria?”
“Frag nicht. Das war ein Desaster.”

“Dude, there are no elves, there are no dwarfs and there is no unicorn.”
“Oh, but yes. There’s one behind the tree.”
“Alter, es gibt keine Elfen, es gibt keine Zwerge und es gibt auch ____ Einhorn.”
Doch, da hinter dem Baum ist ____.”
“Alter, es gibt keine Elfen, es gibt keine Zwerge und es gibt auch kein Einhorn.”
Doch, da hinter dem Baum ist eins.”

Thomas eats the same everyday.
Thomas isst jeden Tag ____ Gleiche.
Thomas isst jeden Tag das Gleiche.

The girl is crying. The mother buys her an ice cream to console her.
____ Mädchen weint. Die Mutter kauft ____ ____ Eis, um ____ zu trösten.
Das Mädchen weint. Die Mutter kauft ihm ein Eis, um es zu trösten.

10.
Thomas opens his beer with his phone.
Thomas macht ____ Bier mit ____ Handy auf.
Thomas macht sein Bier mit seinem Handy auf.

11.
Maria also opens her beer with her phone.
Maria macht ____ Bier auch mit ____ Handy auf.
Maria macht ihr Bier auch mit ihrem Handy auf.

12.
My beer is not tasty. How’s yours?” (use:schmecken)
Mine is good.”
____ Bier schmeckt mir nicht, wie ist ____ ?”
____ ist gut.”
Mein Bier schmeckt mir nicht, wie ist deins?”
Meins ist gut.”

13.
The unicorn is watching the squirrel sleeping because it is bored.
____ Einhorn guckt ____ Eichhörnchen beim Schlafen zu, denn ____ ist langweilig.
Das Einhorn guckt dem Eichhörnchen beim Schlafen zu, denn ihm ist langweilig.

14.
“What’s your favorite word in German?”
“I don’t have one.”
“Was ist ____ Lieblingswort in Deutsch?”
“Ich habe ____.”
“Was ist dein Lieblingswort in Deutsch?”
“Ich habe keins.

15.
The girl doesn’t like the fairytale. (use: gefallen)
____ Märchen gefällt ____ Mädchen nicht.
Das Märchen gefällt dem Mädchen nicht.

16.
Maria gives her date a book as a good bye.
Maria gibt ____ Date zum Abschied ____ Buch.
Maria gibt ihrem Date zum Abschied ein Buch.

17.
The waiter is not satisfied with the [that] tip I gave him.
Der Kellner ist mit ____ Trinkgeld, ____ ich ihm gegeben habe, nicht zufrieden.
Der Kellner ist mit dem Trinkgeld, das ich ihm gegeben habe, nicht zufrieden.

18.
I want to go to bed early today.
Ich will heute früh (in) ____ Bett gehen.
Ich will heute früh ins Bett gehen.

19.
I want to be in bed early today.
Ich will heute früh (in) ____ Bett sein.
Ich will heute früh im Bett sein.

20.
“Do you have a lighter?”
“No, I don’t have one, sorry.”
“Hast du ____ Feuerzeug?”
“Nein, sorry, ich hab’ ____.
“Hast du ein Feuerzeug?”
“Nein, sorry, ich hab’ keins.

21.
The book is bad, but my kitten likes it, when I read it to it.
____ Buch ist schlecht, aber ____ Kätzchen mag es, wenn ich ____ ____ vorlese.
Das Buch ist schlecht, aber mein Kätzchen mag es, wenn ich es ihm vorlese.

22.
The kid takes the knife out of the dishwasher. The mother takes it away from him.
____ Kind nimmt ____ Messer aus der Spülmaschine. Die Mutter nimmt ____ ____ weg.
Das Kind nimmt das Messer aus der Spülmaschine. Die Mutter nimmt es ihm weg.

23.
“Is that your first time in Berlin?”
“No, the third time.”
“Ist das ____ erstes Mal in Berlin?”
“Nein, _____ dritte Mal.”
“Ist das dein erstes Mal in Berlin?”
“Nein, das dritte Mal.”

24.
On the balcony, there’s a squirrel. Maria gives it a piece of her walnut bun.
Auf dem Balkon ist ____ Eichhörnchen. Maria gibt ____ ____ Stück von ____Walnusbrötchen.
Auf dem Balkon ist ein Eichhörnchen. Maria gibt ihm ein Stück von ihrem Walnusbrötchen.

***

And, how was it? Was it difficult? How many did you get wrong? Was there anything you had trouble with?
Let me know all your feedback and of course also all your questions in the comments below.
I hope you liked this little Summer Camp Reunion, have a great week and bis zum nächsten Mal : )!

gallia_a
gallia_a

I have questions regarding some of the exercises:

2. Das Einhorn, das im alten Haus lebt, ist auch alt → is “leben” a good alternative to “wohnen” for this?

5. “Ich habe kein Geld, aber das ist kein Problem” – “Im Gegenteil, das ist ein großes Problem. Das Bier ist nicht gratis” → “Im Gegenteil” instead of “Doch”, not sure how appropriate this is to the situation

7. “Mann, es gibt keine Elfen, es gibt keine Zwerge, und es gibt kein Einhorn.” – “Doch. Hinter dem Baum gibt es eins” → Here I used “es gibt” instead of “ist”. I did the same in 24: “Auf dem Balkon gibt es ein Eichhörnchen. Maria gibt ihm ein Stück ihrem Walnusbrot”.

12. “Mein Bier schmeckt nicht gut. Wie ist deines?” “Meines schmeckt gut” → deines/meines vs deins/meins. Probably you already explained the difference, but I could not find where. Could you summarize it here? Similar for 14: “Was ist dein deutsches Lieblingswort?” – “Ich habe keines”, and 20: “Hast du ein Feuerzeug?” – “Nein, sorry, ich habe keines”

13. Das Einhorn guckt dem Eichhörnchen zu, während es schläft, weil es gelangweilt ist. → This is confusing, since “es” refers to different names in different subsentences. Is there a way to make it clearer, while still using two subsentences?

gallia_a
gallia_a

Thank you for the explanations.
For number 7, if we were talking about objects instead of living beings, would “es gibt” be OK, then? I mean, in a situation similar to where one is behind the tree:

“Mann, es gibt keine verzauberte Schwerter, es gibt keine Zaubertränke, und es gibt kein magischen Spiegel.” – “Doch. Hinter dem Baum gibt es eins”

gallia_a
gallia_a

Understood, thank you

Starbuck
Starbuck

Hello

For #13, I said: “Das Einhorn schaut das Eichhörnchen schlafen an, weil es langweilig ist.”

1. Is it better to use zugucken?
  2. Is it better to use denn instead of weil?
  3. I thought langweilig meant boring, does it also mean bored? Because those are basically opposites of each other.
  4. I used the incorrect case for Eichhörnchen, but I don’t understand why it’s wrong.
  5. Is beim Schlafen a set phrase or is that the general way of saying “i watched someone verbing”, do you always just turn the verb into a noun and use beim? I’ve heard “am Verben” and “zum Verben” before as well I think. Is there anywhere I can read more about this and when to use them?

Thanks!

Sindhu
Sindhu

Question 1:
4. Thomas geht einmal pro Woche ins Fitness Studio. I wrote “Thomas geht ins Fitness Studio einmal pro Woche. ” I know the TeKaMoLo rule but is it wrong to say what I said?
Question 2: Can I call “a date” eine Verabredung?

As always, great exercise! Thoroughly enjoyed it! :)
Ok seriously, is there a good way to learn the trennbare Verben, like a really efficient way, explaining what each prefix does to the meaning of the verb? :P angucken, zugucken etc. I would love that!

Danke vorab! :)

nlvanallen
nlvanallen

Harder than it should have been for all my years (off and on) of study. I guess for one thing I’ve forgotten some word order rules. Do you have any lessons on that?

RogerH

2. Das Einhorn, das in dem alten Haus wohnt, ist auch alt.
3. Thomas sitzt im Café und trinkt ein Bier.
Are the following wrong?
2. Das Einhorn, das im alten Haus wohnt, ist auch alt.
3. Thomas sitzt in dem Café und trinkt ein Bier.

jonasby
jonasby

Noch ein Kommentar auf dem “Das Mädchen – > ihm, es” Sache…

Ich habe das Beispiel meiner Frau vorgelesen, und ihr Reaktion war zu fragen ob ich der Fehler finden muss, oder was. Ich habe ihr erzählt, dass der Satz schon richtig ist. Sie seufzt, sagt quasi ja ok, “es und ihm” geht, gramatischeweise und so, aber “sie und ihr” wäre auch normal, grumble grumble. Darf ich dann mitnehmen, dass solche Formulierungen in beide Richtungen gesagt werden können? Und ich vermute, dass solche Sätze mit der gramatische geschlecht schreiben müssen. Hab ich recht?

Als immer, danke!

Amerikanerin
Amerikanerin

Thanks for a great workout! Am doing better on the translations, but although I got the gender and the cases correct – I screwed up the translation on 13 – the “beim Schlafen” threw me.

24 was also a tricky translation. Did a wonky “Auf dem Balkon gibt es ein Einhörnchen, Maria gibt ihm ein Stück ihres Walnussbrötchens.” OK, I take total responsibility for the stupid “Auf dem Balkong gibt es ein Einhörnchen2 – duh – of course it’s “Auf dem Balkong ist ein Einhörnchen”. The genitive “ihres Walnussbrötchens” can only be blamed on Uni – it’s all their fault. No vonnative at Uni, not instead of genitive, anyway.

But still. Gotta work on that whole “Beim Verben” thing – just not there yet.

Give the lovely assistent my regards for another great Workout!

I think for English speakers, it’s easy to internalize the sense that Genitive is the “of” case (which is true enough), and it’s easy to feel that “von” means “from” more than “of.” That’s probably why I tend to overuse it – at least AE speakers use “of” a LOT. Of course, in other inflected languages, Genitive is actually a normal, functional, everyday case… ;)

marionhaftel

Ack! I did somwhat decently with translating, although I found it tiring. However I made a mess of a lot of the exercise. the further I went the more I messed up things I had gotten correct earlier in the exercise. I need to go back and review some actual grammar.

Rachel Walcott
Rachel Walcott

Gute Übung und viel spass. Mehr bitte :-)!

Verwirrt
Verwirrt

The girl is crying. The mother buys her an ice cream to console her.

Die Mutter kauft IHM ein Eis, um es zu trösten.

Your pronouns are masculine when girl is the subject. IHM is masculine/dative for him, but the anaphor should be IHR/dative for THE GIRL. And ES is not the accusative of Her-‘ in order to console HER’. It should be the accusative ‘um SIE zu trösten’. What am I missing? Why are you using masculine pronouns?

shauser31416
shauser31416

Super Ubung!
7) Warum “eins” – mit dem s
11) Echt? Bitte erklären wie man das tun kann. Offensichtlich bin ich keine deutsche

Turtles
Turtles

I need to expend my vocab more before doing thise excersie. That being said, there is sth more important for you to do than Neuter cases and word of the week. And its “Thomas andt Maria” the love story. You dropping hints here and there, but we need the full story ;)

Ps: this is a joke

W.Liam Allan-Dalgleish
W.Liam Allan-Dalgleish

Bitte mir solch Quatsch nicht zuschicken. Danke.

Lily
Lily

I love your lessons. Keep it up! Thank you.

TomBambadil
TomBambadil

Thanks a lot for this exercise, I have many mistakes and many questions:
what’s the difference between gucken und betrachetn, besichtigen?
eins und eines, kein und keines?
where ist the place of nicht in the sentence?
why in the 9th sentence we must use um …zu und not indem?
and many other things.
But I understand that i have al lot forgotten.
Again thanks a lot for this very good lessons that might not be very easy to do.

manypeople
manypeople

Number 23… “Ist das dein erstes Mal in Berlin?”
“Nein, das dritte Mal.” Could I say “Ist das dein erstes Mal in Berlin?”
“Nein, das Dritte.” (wie “das Gleiche”)
Or would it be “das Drittes”? Neither?

Number 24… Can we use genitive, and if so, would this be right?… “Auf dem Balkon ist ein Eichhörnchen. Maria gibt ihm ein Stück ihren Walnusbrötchens.”

Somehow I guessed it by ear, but why ist it “in dem” for number 2 (Das Einhorn, das in dem alten Haus wohnt, ist auch alt.) but “im” for number 3 (Thomas sitzt im Café und trinkt ein Bier.)? Is it a rule that if there’s an adjective, you don’t contract in with dem?

Is there any flexibility for the placement of the “auch” in “Maria macht ihr Bier auch mit ihrem Handy auf.”?

Finally, can we use “es” instead of “das” in “das ist ein großes Problem.” or am I translating too automatically from the English “it”? Also, does the das have anything to do with the neuter case, i.e. would it be “Das ist ein großer Löffel” or “Der ist ein großer Löffel”? (Err, I think Löffel is masculine, hope I’m right)

Thanks for the great exercise — I made a lot of mistakes and learned a lot!!

Cat

Alan
Alan

Too many embarrassing mistakes but fun and informative as always. I consider myself A2 but I made a right hash of this one!

lisa
lisa

Thanks! Lots of fun.
You lost me on this one:
Das Einhorn guckt dem Eichhörnchen beim Schlafen zu, denn ihm ist langweilig.

I would think that it would be:
Das Einhorn guckt das (accusitive) Eichhoernchen beim Schlafen zu, denn es (referring back to the nominative subject of the main clause) ist langweilig.

Clarify for me?
Thanks!

lisa
lisa

Yes! Thank you! Ganz klar!
Lisa

Difficile
Difficile

Sentence 13.
Is there a difference between “gucken“ and “zugucken”?
I have used ”anschauen”, is it also ok?

And also is it ok dem schlafenden Eichhörnchen instead of beim Schlafen.

Sentence 18/19.
Can “heute früh” mean also early in the day? for example, I went to work early today, ich bin heute früh in die Arbeit gegangen.
(I hope it makes sense)

Thanks. ^_^

Übung 9:
Das Mädchen weint. Die Mutter kauft ihm ein Eis, um IHR zu trösten . Warum um ES zu trösten ?
Voraus danke.

Elsa
Elsa

Hello,
Let’s then start with a typo-finding bootcamp:
“we’ll do an exerice for” (exercise)
“overview over” is overkill; overview of is better!
“personal pronouns it or cases and prepositions” (one “it” too many)

OMG, I found a typo in the German part – “Thomas sitzt im Café und trink ein Bier” (trinkt) lol
Question 23 – the answer shows when you click the question mark…

I didn’t attempt the translations (I’m working at mo and will do it when I have a bit more time), but I got all case words right :)))))) However, there’s a construction I don’t understand, which is “denn ihm ist langweilig”. I managed to guess the dative was the right answer, what I don’t understand is why it is not “es ist ihm langweilig”. Also, could you say “es ist gelangweilt” instead?

And, on a completely unrelated topic, what’s a Zwiebelmettbrot? One of our frinds on the blog mentioned eating one at the Berlin Hbf and how nice it is… As I’m also going to be there early next month I thought I’d try it. However, I searched online and apparently it involves raw pork meat… Is that true? and if so, is it safe? and is it good?

Bis bald

''Porc-U-Pein'' - heißt Stachelschwein
''Porc-U-Pein'' - heißt Stachelschwein

Thema : “Hacky Sack”

Vocab:
die Pein – agony, torment, suffering
quietschen – to squeal

“Eier” – die Hoden, testicles

das Ferkel- piglet

das Ringelschwänzel- curly little tail

der Po – cute fanny

mitsamt – with (in the sense of including)

Der Fleischwolf – meatgrinder

die Dreharbeit — the act of cranking (an old hand crank camera) – mostly used as term for filming a movie from ”drehen”

der Hickhack – squabble
der Borg -barrow – neutered male pig
___________________________________________________________________

Es ist wie es ist! War aber doch anderes!

Aber sich weiter zeugen kann es ,
es nicht.

Der ganze deutsche Hickhack ist hier hell erleuchtet
im grellen Tageslicht!
——————————————————————————————————————————
quiet-schen hat mit ”quiet” gar nichts zu tun!

Ohne Betäubung mit quietschendem Geschrei,
aber mit großer Eile,
vierliert armes Schweinchen
zack, zack! drei unnötige Teile,
mitsamt Säck’l dabei!

Beim Ferkel Po
eins zwo drei.
sind jetzt “Eier” und Ringelshwänzel davon befreit!
Ab sofort in den Fleischwolf;
die Dinger hinein-
Ratz Fatz tut der Wolf seine blutige “Dreharbeit”!
Mit Peffer und Salz
Zwiebel und Schmalz,
alles ist,
ganz frisch gemischt.

Sagt lovely Maria dem Thomas,
”Liebling – jetzt wird gleich fertig für Dich,
eine Schale Zwiebelmett Brotaufstrich”.

Der Thomas beißt hungrig die Deliktess ‘
Und denkt dabei als er tierisch mit Gürkel
und Brot es alles freßt,