Updates and 20.000th

some of you might have noticed that the last post is already over a week old, and also that I’m kind of lagging with the comments. But behind the scenes, I’ve actually been twerking a lot.
My boooootay is in great shape.
And I’ve also been working quite a lot behind the scenes.
So what did I do?

Well, first of all, I met up with Cari from Easy German (in my opinion by FAR the best smelling Youtube Chanel™ for learning German). Here’s proof. I’m the one in the middle ;).

(that’s my Facebook page, by the way. I’m not doing much there, but you can like it anyway. )

The videos were for a cool new language learning App by Jeremy (more soonish). But Cari and I, we’ll also do videos together for Youtube soon, so watch out.

But that’s not the main thing I did this past week. That was some work on the website. Coding work.
I finally, at long last sat down and made it so the site doesn’t suck anymore on your phones.
Like… if you’ve used it with your phone, then you’ll know what I mean.
You had to zoom around like crazy and now it’s smooth.
Here’s a screenshot

And yes, the menu folds in :).

Now, you might have noticed that green check mark in the screen shot. That is the other big thing I added. When you’re logged in, you can now mark articles as “done” so you can keep track of what you’ve read already. I mean… there are over 400 articles here by now, so it was about time :).
The green check mark next to the title means you’ve read this. And that’s not all. In the category-menus, you can also see it. Here’s a screenshot:

And that’s still not all there is. Because you can also see how much of the site you’ve read already. Like here:

(This only shows up if you’re logged in. )
It probably shows 0%, simply because you’ve not marked anything as read. But yeah, I’m gonna add this to your profile page, which I’m also currently redesigning.
I did a few other layout tweaks and I’m gonna do more in the coming weeks, so if you have any wishes, please, please let me know in the comments… now’s the perfect time. I make no promises but I’m kind of “in the zone”.

But now let’s get to the other big thing for today…

20.000.000

Twenty million. That is the number of comments we’re about to hit times 100.
Uh… yeah… we’re about to hit 20.000 comments.

!!!20.000 COMMENTS!!!!

That’s soooo many! And it’s not THAT long ago that we had 10.000. Holy crap and thank you everyone. Seriously!! Seeing the comments on a new article is always really really motivating for me because I can really feel that you’re invested and active and that make me invested and active. And I also learn quite a bit there. And it’s sooo civilized :). So… thanks to all of you. It really means a lot to me.
And of course we need to properly celebrate it with a little giveaway.
Four of you can win a little game to practice your German with. Or if you don’t want the game because you’re “too serious” you can also have the book from the author of the game.
Here are the Amazon-links:

“Halt mal kurz” – fun little party game

Die Känguruh-Chroniken
(this is B1 reading. If you’re a beginner we can find something else)

Oh, if you’re living in Berlin, I’ll alternatively pay you one year of library membership, because that gets you like all the books ever. And DVDs. And Blue Rays. And games. And Mangas. And the most high tech check out machines you have ever seen. And the …
“Shut up, Emanuel… tell us what we have to do to win!”
All right, all right. So remember how I said the comments were so civilzed?
Well, that’ll change today because in order to win, you have to

#roastme

That’s right. I want you to roast me or my blog, and roast me good. If you don’t know what that means, it means that you have to insult me or the blog in a clever way. You can do it in German or English, I  don’t care (but not in French!!!).
The four comments that offend me the most will win.
So go right ahead lay some hate in the comments and see if you can roast more than a little sausage.
Oh and don’t forget to let me know if you have any ideas or wishes for the design. You can put the in the same comment as your pathetic roast attempt ;)
Seriously, looking forward to reading from you all and see you next week.

rrickresch
rrickresch

You look like the ugly kid from Stranger Things fought in Iraq and then became homeless.

Congratulations on the update!

rrickresch
rrickresch
Reply to  rrickresch

You can actually just delete this. I would feel bad if it made a vet feel bad.

Sena
Sena

This website is the best one I have ever encountered. With its great ways to teach new words, I totally admire this site. Thanks for everything Emanuel :)

Listztomania
Listztomania

I actually thought you were the cat from the “About” page pic. He is cuter and looks smarter too.

Listztomania
Listztomania

You’ve got to be kitten me! It took meowrs to roast you purroperly, but a cat teaching german just gives me good felines.

Ps: That’s a nice self-pawtrait on the “About” page. ;)

A
A

I dont know how I feel about seeing you. Before you could be whoever I wanted you to be, and now the illusion is gone forever (teary eye emoji) PS. This isnt a roast, im just conflicted about having seen Emanuel (there must be a German word for this feeling)

Alan
Alan

I guess this roast thing is over but, do you always try to look like a frog when you smile?

I feel kinda bad with this ‘insulting’ stuff, lol. Keep up the great work on your blog, it is super helpful

Alan
Alan

Yeah sure and the weight gain is the camera’s fault..

Ich habe viel gelernt, indem ich deinen Blog gelesen habe. Bar jeden zweifels, der beste deutsche Blog für jede, die deutsch lernen wollen. Vielen Dank! :D

Krzysztof Skladanowski

Very interesting.

Anna Elfenbein
Anna Elfenbein

Tut mir leid. Ich habe zwei mal geschrieben weil die erste Sendung war verschwunden, dachte ich.

Anna Elfenbein
Anna Elfenbein

Hallo, Emauel–Mein Thema war dass du zu viel wie ein Amerikaner A-Typ arbeitest. (Du bist suess nur meine grossesten Fehlern zu zitieren. Ich habe selber mehr gefunden. zB “Woerten” fuer “Woerter.” Ich dachte dass die Uebersetzung von “erwachen” “awake” war. Und “(be)schoenen “to prettify” or “make more beautiful.” Und “dich dauern “to linger over” or “lavish time on.”)

Meine Roastidee war dass du immer mehr und besser “German is easy” zu machen getrieben bist (or is it “wurdest”?). Das ist wunderbar, aber auch OCDisch, glaube ich. Daueber kann man sich luestig machen–wie in einem Roast. Oder?

Tschuess!

Aself

P.S. Vielleicht habe ich im “Roast” meine Grenze entdeckt/konfrontiert? Nach Babylon Berlin, versuche ich jetzt Der Nasse Fisch zu lesen. Es ist viel schwerer als Alias Grace aber es hat einen deutschen Verfasser/Autor. Wie sagt man auf Deutsch “Onward”!

Anna Elfenbein
Anna Elfenbein

Hallo Emanuel–

Beschönen=to make more perfect and prettify
dich dauern=to linger over for a long time

Erwachen evidently means to awaken rather than to be awake. Wie sagt man “be awake” auf Deutsch?
Ich habe mehr Fehler drinn. Wörten gibt es nicht in Deutsch sonder Wörte und Wörter glaubt ich?

Das Gedicht ist allerdings ein Roast, weil der sagt das du zu viel arbeitest. Du bist daher fast Amerikanisch wie ich and Donald Trump. Im Trumpland zu sein ist doch schwerig. Man findet sich immer heiß und verbraten wie Rindfleisch, aka einen Roast. Aself

Anna Elfenbein
Anna Elfenbein

Kleine Korrekturen

Nachtlied/Nachtleid fuer Emanuel

Es ist Mitternacht und du bist jetzt erwachen.

Leider geil bist du, weil du dir nicht goennen kannst.
Und du moechtest nichts sondern “German is easy” (be) schoenen.
Du dauerst dich immer mehr ueber witzigen, wunderbaren Woerten
Du denkst: “Je besser ich alles tue desto mehr ich arbeiten muss(e).”

Anna Elfenbein
Anna Elfenbein

Here is my Roast! (Aber ich meine tatsaechlich dass du der Hammer bist!)

Nachtlied/Nachtleid fuer Emanuel

Es ist Mitternacht und du bist jetzt erwachen.

Leider geil bist du, weil du dir nicht goennen kannst.
Und du moechtest nichts sondern “German is easy” (be)schoenen.
Du dauerst dich immer mehr ueber witzigen, wunderbaren Ausdruecken
Du denkst: “Je besser ich alles tue desto mehr ich arbeiten muess(e).”

crittermonster
crittermonster

Ich… kann…es nicht posten:-( !
Ich hatte etwas sehr, sehr roastvoll geschriebt aber dann… nein, ich liebe diese Blog zu viel und du bist zu nett. Agh. Und ich habe das gedacht, dass ich edgy und creative war. (Sniff sniff)

crittermonster
crittermonster

Ach dann, du Pervert, warum kannst du Thomas und Maria einfach nicht im Ruhe lassen?!

Mau24ef
Mau24ef

Never saw your face before.

I just learned I not only improve my German by following the blog, but also contribute to raise awareness by supporting someone in a minority group, i.e. child-like beardless middle-aged German men

I’m such a good person *drops mic * *walks away *

(habe ich etwas gewonnen? lol)

AESloth
AESloth

Hello people, new member here. Thanks to all the people who support us that can’t pay. I’m happy to be a member of this community and hope to be the one supporting new learners in the near future! Congrats on the 20 000 comments as well. Have a nice day!

Claudia Cartier
Claudia Cartier

Du bist so uncool, deine Mutter weigert dich, dich anzuerkennen!!!!!

(confession: had to use Google translate for help)

Amerikanerin
Amerikanerin

My waste paper basket is full of discarded attempts to roast Emanual. After reading “rkachowski’s” roast, there is no point in trying – that one nailed it on an Olympic scale. Game Over.

Jake
Jake

Kannst du endlich mit den bescheuerten Witzen aufhören? Es gibt hier Leute, die eigentlich ihr Deutsch verbessern möchten. Müssen wir auch die ganze Zeit damit verbringen, blöde denglishe Sprüche durchzublicken? Vielleicht hättest du mehr Mitglieder, wenn du ein bisschen mehr Mühe stecken würdest in, oh I don’t know, basic punctuation and spelling!

Yeah, and about your excessive text formatting. You’re like a kid who just got a new toy. Except you actually got that Transformer action figure ten years ago. Now you’re in high school, carrying it around all the time, playing with it between classes, oblivious to the fact that you’re killing your chances with that girl. It’s time to let it go.

Jake
Jake

Ha, had to google that one. Ich kenne “Mühe geben”, aber dict.cc hat mir gesagt, dass es auch “viel Mühe in etwas stecken” gibt. Habe ich das falsch verwendet?

Jake
Jake

Do you mean this? Vielleicht hättest du mehr Mitglieder, wenn du ein bisschen mehr Mühe in, oh I don’t know, basic punctuation and spelling, stecken würdest!

If so, I thought this was the more grammatically correct form, but I also sometimes hear German speakers break the rule about conjugated verb placement, either for emphasis or because they changed their mind about what they were going to say. I guess I don’t totally understand when it works and when it doesn’t.

charlie joe
charlie joe

You sick SOB!

Amerikanerin
Amerikanerin
Reply to  charlie joe

Charlie Joe – a girl’s gotta call a spade a spade and that guy in the middle “be mighty good lookin’!” But don’t worry, I’m old enough to be his mother (teenage pregnancy required in which case, but still…) and I’m only out after his intellect, but can’t a girl appreciate the sights anyway? Does this discussion count as Emanual’s #meetoo moment?

crittermonster
crittermonster

And while we’re at it let’s stop the shaming. Regular verbs are not “weak”– it’s the so-called “strong” verbs that are narcissistic bullies who fill students’ minds with PTSD until they can’t recognize a good, kind, well-meaning verb that just wants to cuddle and be loved/have been loved/will have been loved. #noteveryverb #irregularprivilege #regularverbsmatter

aoind
aoind

I don’t think any grammar nazi has chosen that hill to die on Emanuel. Phrases like “I too”, “you and I”, “he and I” etc. are so arcane now that most people would probably think them wrong. And then there is Bristol, which takes an unusual angle of attack on this one. There such phrases as “give it I” and “you’re makin I laff” can be heard.

Sid
Sid

Maybe you shouldn’t recommended roasting your kleine Bratwurst… ;)

Ethem
Ethem

Es gibt ein Problem mit dein Facebook link. Man kann nicht sehen

Ethem
Ethem

Yes, I do see nothing. I saw the link with looking in to the source code of the page