Why 2020 is the best year to learn German

2020 is here and it is the best year to learn German!
Here’s why:

2020

2 corresponds to the letter B. B is the first letter in best.
20 corresponds to the letter T. T is the first letter in to.
2+0+2+0 = 4.
4 corresponds to the letter D. D is the first letter of Deutsch.

so we get:

Best to Deutsch

Case closed!

***

Happy new year, everyone :)!
And see you soon with articles on holen, prefix verbs, man  and much more stuff :).

GabrielD
GabrielD

This is how Dan Brown write his books.

thorrudbek

Just became a member a few days ago and have been consuming the older posts eagerly. Thanks for the amazing content. My own goal for 2020 is to achieve fluency until August, so I have a lot of catching up to do!

thorrudbek

Thanks for the suggestion. Ich habe es meinem My Daily German hinzugefügt. https://www.thorrudbek.de/mydailygerman/

thorrudbek

I’m a mess with design as well… I just used the exact simple-blog template from Gatsby for a static blog, but your case is probably a whole other beast. Are you using a custom-hosted WordPress? There might be some way to migrate it to a more modern platform… We can brainstorm it offline later if you want.

Lamb
Lamb

Thanks for a great blog. Have you ever done anything on dadurch just something that comes to mind.

thorrudbek
Reply to  Lamb

The best explanation I saw for dadurch was in Hammer’s Grammar. It is a way to encode in German something you would write in English with by + ing-infinitive. For example, Learn everyday, by using every opportunity. You could translate that with dadurch as: Lernen Sie im Alltag dadurch, dass Sie jede Gelegenheit nutzen.

You could also use indem for that: Lernen Sie im Alltag, indem Sie jede Gelegenheit nutzen.

Alternatively, but with a slightly different phrase structure, durch + a nominal expression also works:

Lernen Sie im Alltag durch das Nutzung von jeder Gelegenheit.

For me the durch or indem variants are the easier to use, because indem usually just comes at the beginning of the the new Satz, and durch just falls naturally in the sentence. My main struggle with dadurch is that where exactly it should pop up on the phrase is a little random for me. Sometimes it is at the end as in the example I wrote there, but could be practically anywhere.

Some more examples from my Anki flashcards I could find on the thema:

He escaped by jumping out of the window.
Er rettete sich, {{c1::indem}} er aus dem Fenster sprang.

indem, (or dadurch dass, oder durch) are all forms for the English ‘by’ (or ‘through’) + ‘ing’-form.

Here an example in the wild: https://twitter.com/peakcelina/status/1122157675922501633

She used indem there, but dadurch fits as well:
Heute 50€ verdient dadurch, dass ich einen alten Monitor verkauft habe.
(I have earned €50,00 today, by selling an old monitor.)

Yet another example in the wild from the same Twitterin:

Annoying people on the cluster by blocking both GPUs with my program.

Lamb
Lamb
Reply to  thorrudbek

Thanks for such a detailed explanation.

Lamb
Lamb
Reply to  thorrudbek

Would dadurch have other possible common meanings ? If it had only this main by + ing-infinitive meaning. Then it I’d simple to understand.

thorrudbek
Reply to  Lamb

Of course it has. This is German. Every rule has an exception and nothing is obvious. There’s the meaning covered on Emanuel’s article below, and there is also a possibility to translate it as: thereby, thus, therefore, whereby, consequently, therethrough, through, because, then, such, hence, result, comprising, making, allowing…. Take a look at reverso.net: https://context.reverso.net/%C3%BCbersetzung/deutsch-englisch/dadurch .

thorrudbek

Good point. I was just following the Hammer’s German Grammar convention. It did help me understand some of its uses, but then I realised it was broader than just by .. – ing.

Follows the relevant excerpt (page 286, section 13.7.2, Hammers German Grammar and Usage , Fourth Edition) – just realised now that they also though +ing is also a possible translation…

13.7.2 The English ‘ing’-form after prepositions
(a) ‘by’ or (through) + ing-form: This construction usually corresponds to a clause with dadurch, dass, or indem (see 19.7.3), or to durch followed by an infinitival noun. Thus the following are possible equivalents for the English sentence: ‘He escaped by jumping out of the window’:
Er rettete sich, dadurch, dass er aus dem Fenster sprang.
Er rettete sich, indem er aus dem Fenster sprang.
Er rettete sich durch einen Sprung aus dem Fenster.

Bosko24
Bosko24

Und noch eine Frage. Was ist der Unterschide zwichen hinder behindern und verhindern? Danke im Voraus

Bosko24
Bosko24

Danke Emanuel. Fur mich bist du der beste Lehrer in der Welt. Dank dir habe ich viel gelernt. Liebe Gruse aus Serbien

Cameroni Macaroni
Cameroni Macaroni

I usually have a second language I’m learning along with German, be it Norwegian, Russian, Esperanto, Korean… etc etc

Jack of all trades but master of none, my German isn’t too good despite having studied 3 years now (infrequently).

This year I’m buckling down and committing to German everyday. After all, it is the best year to learn German.

Cameroni Macaroni
Cameroni Macaroni

I’m not fluent in any of them haha, :(

It’s not too confusing to learn two languages at the same time, there are enough quirks to separate a language from another. However, it is time consuming and often I wouldn’t have enough time to dedicate for both. That’s why I’m focusing on just German, and once I become sufficient in German I’ll try another language again (Finnish seems fun).

Russian is a bit more difficult than German. German has a lot of cognates with English whereas Russian has few, and the case endings seem much more complex than German.

Turtles
Turtles

Los Versammel Sie.

2020 heißt mehr Grammartik und Wörter

Vielleicht

Prefix verbs?
Perpostions combination?
Free realtive clauses?

Und mehr. mit unserem Held – Emanuel

Elsa
Elsa

Frohes Neujahr!
Best to Deutsch sounds great! In fact, one of my New Year’s Resolutions is to be able to read a German book for grownups by the end of the year, as I’m still only able to read books for 13-year-olds!
Need looooooots of help with prefix verbs, so I’m counting on you :)
Bis bald!