Yourdailyfailure Advent Calendar
“A conditional quickie“
– π +
and welcome to door number 23 of our Advent calendar.
And while the title actually suggests something salacious and naughty, the reality is a lot more “sober”.
Because on Christmas, it’s important to be humble.
And the best way to get into that mind set is to fail a little at .. I mean, to do a little
exercise for German conditional
Now, in my series on conditional, we’ve already done a couple of exercises together, but what we haven’t done yet is an exercise where you actually get to speak. Which is the best practice for stuff like conditional, to be honest.
And that’s what we’ll do today.
I’ll give you a normal sentence in German, like this:
- Ich trinke ein Bier.
And you’ll have to change that into normal conditional
- Ich würde ein Bier trinken.
And you’ll have to answer by actually saying it and the speech AI will give you feedback how well your version matched with the actual correct answer.
Many of you are probably familiar with it already, but let’s do a quick dry run again.
Just click record, say the following, and click record again to lock in your answer.
“eins zwei drei”
(The record button changes color when it is working. So if it DOESN’T change color, that means, something is wrong – probably the browser blocking access to the mic. Let me know if you need help with that.)
If your version matches well enough, you’ll get a word for word feedback and you can move on, or do more takes to improve.
The difficulty here is set to “60% overall match”, but if that’s too difficult or too easy, you can adjust in the quizz, to the level you want.
And if you want to hear me say it, just click “hint” and you’ll see a text hint and a play button for my own version.
Now, if you do not know what that is or how to build it, then check out my series about it here:
Conditional in German (part 1)
Today, we’ll only do the normal conditional in present tense. And we’ll use the forms wäre(-) for sein, hätte(-) for haben and würde(-) for all the rest.
And keep in mind… it is OKAY if you DON’T get them all right. What matters is that you understand WHY you made a mistake, so you can improve.
Just do the workout a few times over a week so the patterns and rhythms can really sink in.
All right… I think we’re all set now, so viel Spaß :)
0 of 7 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
Time has elapsed
- Review / Skip
1. QuestionIch gehe in den Park.I’d go to the park.Ich würde in den Park gehen.CorrectIncorrect
Ich _____ in den Park gehen.
2. QuestionIch trinke Wein.I would drink wine.Ich würde Wein trinken.CorrectIncorrect
Ich _____ Wein trinken.
3. QuestionDas dauert zu lange.That would take too long.Das würde zu lange dauern.CorrectIncorrect
Das _____ zu lange dauern.
4. QuestionEisbaden ist mir zu kalt.Ice bathing would be too cold for me.Eisbaden wäre mir zu kalt.CorrectIncorrect
Eisbaden [form of “sein”… no würde] mir zu kalt.
5. QuestionWas machst du in dieser Situation?What would you do in this situation?Was würdest du in dieser Situation machen?CorrectIncorrect
Was ______ in dieser Situation _____ .
6. QuestionMaria gewinnt gegen Thomas beim Schach.Maria would win against Thomas at chess.Maria würde gegen Thomas beim Schach gewinnen.CorrectIncorrect
Maria würde ____ _____ ____ _____ _____ .
7. QuestionLast but not least, let’s do one with TWO conditionals… dun dunn dunnn!! One of them is for “haben” and you do NOT need “würde” for that one ;)Ich komme mit, wenn ich Zeit habe.I would come with you, if I had time.Ich würde mitkommen, wenn ich Zeit hätte.CorrectIncorrect
Ich _____ _____ , wenn _____ Zeit _____ .
Let me know in the comments how you did and how you liked the exercise. I think it’s a great way to practice this stuff, but if you have ideas how to improve it, let me know.
I hope you had fun, have a great day and I’ll see you tomorrow.